Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/09/03 21:49:15 UTC

Lining up maven-artifact for a release

Hi,

We need to collect all outstanding fixes done on the 2.0.x branch
merged into the decoupled version and we need to collect all the
filters that are floating around all over the place. I think the
filters can be in a separate tree and we can decide what we want to
shade in by default but we need to collect this before doing a release.

Doxia is about to be released, and when maven-artifact is released we
can release 2.1-alpha-1.

Mark do you want to try and get your changes into the decouple maven-
artifact?

I will hunt around for filters and make some space in SVN for them.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Lining up maven-artifact for a release

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 9/3/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 3 Sep 07, at 4:29 PM 3 Sep 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>

> > On 04/09/2007, at 5:49 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We need to collect all outstanding fixes done on the 2.0.x branch
> >> merged into the decoupled version
> >
> > This should hopefully already be the case,
>
> I don't believe Mark has done it yet. Don't know what Carlos has done.

my changes are in both trunk/artifact and 2.0.x branch

> > I try and keep an eye on merges and flag stuff that isn't going
> > trunk first. Probably a good idea for everyone that's done recent
> > stuff on artifact to check for themselves though - Mark, Carlos?
> >
> >> and we need to collect all the filters that are floating around
> >> all over the place. I think the filters can be in a separate tree
> >> and we can decide what we want to shade in by default but we need
> >> to collect this before doing a release.
> >
> > Sorry, bit dense this morning - can you explain why that's needed?
>
> To prevent the duplication of filters and to have all related code
> together. To date I have not seen any filters that are really
> specific to a particular domain, the all appear to be general in
> nature. We don't collect them, they will be duplicated.
>
> > (I understand it's a good thing to get rid of all the duplicate and
> > almost-the-same ones, and m-artifact is the right place - just
> > wondering if that's becoming a requirement for it to work or not).
> >
> >> Mark do you want to try and get your changes into the decouple
> >> maven-artifact?
> >
> > Would it be better to hold this until after the release since
> > things are pretty stable right now and this might take a bit to
> > integrate?
> >

> I don't think so, the sooner it goes in the better. It's easy enough
> to try it with trunk, we can hold off on 2.0.x but I want to try it
> all with 2.1x ASAP.
>

> >> I will hunt around for filters and make some space in SVN for them.
> >
> > Does this mean m-artifact will be a multi-module project?
> >
> > If the filters depend on m-artifact, I don't see why they need to
> > be separate?
> >

> Just like providers, but they are not numerous when we collect them
> (as we might not have many different ones).
>
> > - Brett
> >
> > --
> > Brett Porter - brett@apache.org
> > Blog: http://www.devzuz.org/blogs/bporter/

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Lining up maven-artifact for a release

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/09/2007, at 5:49 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We need to collect all outstanding fixes done on the 2.0.x branch
> merged into the decoupled version

This should hopefully already be the case, I try and keep an eye on
merges and flag stuff that isn't going trunk first. Probably a good
idea for everyone that's done recent stuff on artifact to check for
themselves though - Mark, Carlos?

> and we need to collect all the filters that are floating around all
> over the place. I think the filters can be in a separate tree and
> we can decide what we want to shade in by default but we need to
> collect this before doing a release.

Sorry, bit dense this morning - can you explain why that's needed? (I

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-dependency-plu
gin/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/dependency/utils/filters

I have a simple interface that they all implement, basically they get
configured (could be injected components), then "filter(full list of
artifacts) returns filtered list of artifacts".

public interface ArtifactsFilter
{
    Set filter( Set artifacts, Log log )
        throws MojoExecutionException;

    boolean okToProcess( Artifact artifact, Log log )
        throws MojoExecutionException;
}

All filters support both includes and excludes although currently not at
the same time (excludes is ignored if includes is used...but I planned
on changing this and it shouldn't be complicated).

I chain them together in a defined list currently, but will soon allow
the order of filtering to be changed to get different effects.

I have:
Type Filter
Transitivity Filter
Scope Filter
Classifier Filter
ArtifactId Filter (supports wildcards)
GroupId Filter (supports wildcards)

Then there is a subsystem supporting marker files (for filtering out
things that may have already been unpacked) and a filter for those.

I definitely think they should be collected as they are generic (perhaps
the marker file one is mdep specific).

If you look at the code, all of the them used existing core artifact
code to check things, but I had to wrap it because the existing filters
didn't express their functionality in the needed way. Ie you could ask
is this artifact in the test scope? But not give me the list of things
in test scope or not test scope etc.

So if we collect these together, possibly we could combine the core code
I'm calling into these filters and each one can expose both the original
and enhanced functionality.

On 3 Sep 07, at 5:30 PM 3 Sep 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I can move in the dependency-plugin filters once you create the
> location
> for them. They may need a little refactoring to move away from
> dependency-plugin code, not sure.

How many do you have and do you think it's makes sense to collect them?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2007, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> On 11 Sep 07, at 6:58 AM 11 Sep 07, Mark Hobson wrote:
> > Good stuff.  I did try maven-artifact 3.0-SNAPSHOT in 2.0.x and it
> > appeared to work after lots of dependency tweaking - see my previous
> > comments in this thread.  I can commit the required changes to a
> > branch if you want.
>
> Sure that would be good, I really just want to test plugins that used
> the old stuff and make sure it doesn't tank there.

Raised MNG-3205 for this task and committed my changes to the branches
detailed in the issue:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3205

You may have some fun trying to get the plugin-plugin installed, with
it being of a bootstrap nature.  Next task would be to test some of
the other plugins and update their dependencies in a branch
respectively.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Lining up maven-artifact for a release

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7 Sep 07, at 6:39 AM 7 Sep 07, Mark Hobson wrote:

> On 07/09/2007, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I started trying to get 2.0.x to use maven-artifact 3.0-SNAPSHOT.  It
>> doesn't seem too bad - no compilation problems - currently just a
>> linking issue to resolve before the IT tests should hopefully pass.
>
> The linking issue was due to maven-plugin-plugin using the old
> maven-artifact - updating its dependencies fixed the ITs.  Only it0095
> and it0118 fail for me now, but then they fail with the current 2.0.x
> branch too.

That's awesome news.

> How do we want to take this forward?

I'll take a try and run it as well and then we have to decide if we
trust our tests. We might want to be a little more rigourous and try
to run some of the other major plugins like the archetype and the
site plugin which make use of the resolver. If those make it I would
think that it's pretty safe.

We also have to deal with tools that require 3 modules instead of
one. Old plugins might have used maven-repository-metadata, maven-
artifact, and maven-artifact-manager so we have to make sure that
works somehow.

But as discussed in a mail a few days ago I am fine with having
releases require at least betas and maven-artifact is not going to be
for a while.

So if it works that's great, we need to assess some other plugins,
our tests and decide whether we can use it or not. The code is not
really an alpha, it's just the decoupled code with a bumped version.

With some rigourous testing and we find it works I would much prefer
to use the same decoupled codebase.

> I can commit these changes and
> delete the old maven-artifact & maven-artifact-manager, although I'm
> guessing several plugins will need updating to use the new
> maven-artifact.  A branch may be better if people want to review it
> first.

Yah, we would definitely need to figure out how to use the new code
with old plugins. There probably are not that many but we still need
to make sure it works.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 07/09/2007, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I started trying to get 2.0.x to use maven-artifact 3.0-SNAPSHOT.  It
> doesn't seem too bad - no compilation problems - currently just a
> linking issue to resolve before the IT tests should hopefully pass.

The linking issue was due to maven-plugin-plugin using the old
maven-artifact - updating its dependencies fixed the ITs.  Only it0095
and it0118 fail for me now, but then they fail with the current 2.0.x
branch too.

How do we want to take this forward?  I can commit these changes and

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.