Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2016/11/22 15:55:25 UTC

[MENTORS] Guidance on Graduation to TLP for Apache Ranger

Hello Mentors -

The Rnger community has recently been inquiring about graduation for Apache
Ranger and I think that the maturity and state of the project is ready for
this discussion to begin.

Would anyone have any specific guidance in starting this process and how to
drive it through the VOTE for the project, incubator and to the board?

I would like to try and avoid the thrashing that other projects had to go
through in order to be considered mature enough - so any guidance that can
be provided would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

--larry

Re: [MENTORS] Guidance on Graduation to TLP for Apache Ranger

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Mentors,

Here is the draft version of documentation I have created for the
graduation of Apache Ranger Project, based on apache guide lines in
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html.

Now I need your guidance on how should I take this to voting process. One
thing I am not sure of is calling out "Vice President, Apache Ranger².
Is this something ranger community decide and elect?

Thanks,
Ramesh

Project Graduation email content:

Project Status:
	http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ranger.html

Project website:
	http://ranger.incubator.apache.org <http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/>

Project Documentation:
	http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/index.html
http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/quick_start_guide.html
	https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Release+Folders

Project maturity Assessment:
	https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+Project+M
aturity+Model

DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email
Proposed PMC size: 15

Total number of committers: 40 members

PMC affiliation (* indicated chair)

	Ebay (1)
	* Hortonworks (10)
	Privacera (2)
	BlueTalon (1)
	Others (1)

1802 commits on develop
8 PR¹s on GitHub
22  contributors across all branches
Dev list averaged ~60 msgs/month in 2016
User list averaged ~50 msgs/month in 2016
1208 issues created
997  issues resolved

Committer¹s affiliation:
	Active:
	Hortonworks
	Talend
	BlueTalon
	eBay

Resolution:

	Establish the Apache Ranger Project

	WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation¹s purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public, related
to a data management platform That provides real-time, consistent access
to data-intensive applications throughout widely distributed cloud
architectures.

	NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Ranger Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

	RESOLVED,that the Apache Ranger Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to a data management
platform that provides real-time, consistent access to data-intensive
applications throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

	RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Ranger² be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Ranger
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the projects
within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Ranger Project; and be it
further

	RESOLVED,that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Ranger Project:

		Balaji Ganesan                                        bganesan@apache.org
		Don Bosco Durai
bosco@apache.org
		Dilli Arumugam                                      dillidorai@apache.org
		Kevin Minder                                           kminder@apache.org
		Larry Mccay
lmccay@apache.org
		Madhanmohan Neethiraj
madhan@apache.org
		Ramesh Mani
rmani@hortonworks.com
		Sanjay Radia
sanjay@hortonworks.com
		Selvamohan Neethiraj                        sneethir@apache.org
		Velmurugan Periasamy                      vel@apache.org

	NOW,THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ³XXXXXX" be appointed to the
office of Vice President, Apache Ranger, to serve in accordance with and
subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

	RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Ranger PMC be and hereby is tasked with
the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development and
increased participation in the
	Apache Ranger Project; and be it further

	RESOLVED, that the Apache Ranger Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration of the Apache Incubator Ranger podling; and be it further

	RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Ranger polling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are hereafter
discharged.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
Never mind on the last part about keeping mentors.  I see you sent a separate email on that.  Thanks.

Alan.

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 14:57, Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So you took those on the PPMC and put them on the PMC, and those who were committers remain committers.  The other option many podlings take is to put everyone who’s part of the podling onto the PMC.  Either is fine, but the podling should discuss it and agree.  I haven’t seen any discussion so far beyond this thread, but perhaps I’ve missed it.
>
> Also, did you have any feedback on the recommendation that you keep at least one of the mentors on the PMC?  Again, I think this should be discussed in the podling.
>
> Alan.
>
>> On Nov 22, 2016, at 17:49, Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> Regarding your question on Number of proposed PMCs, I am not sure how this
>> is proposed. In resolution I counted only the number of PMC members which
>> is 10 people. I got those numbers from Ranger Team members list
>> http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/team-list.html. Should this be the
>> number of members in the Ranger Apache poling from Apache Phonebook?
>>
>> Regarding chair affiliation I shall correct that in my Ranger project
>> summary for graduation. Since there is no chair for the Ranger PMC, I need
>> input from Mentors on how this proposal process is done.
>>
>> Regarding requesting Ranger Mentors to be part of PMC, let me send out a
>> separate email and address this.
>>
>> Thanks for your detailed input.
>>
>> Ramesh
>>

>> On 11/22/16, 3:52 PM, "Alan Gates" <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for getting this process started.
>>>
>>> Ramesh, this is a very nice summary of where the project’s at.
>>>
>>> I looked through the maturity assessment and the podling status.  We’ve
>>> made a number of releases and grown the community.  There’s reasonable
>>> diversity in the committers.
>>>
>>> One question I had is how you arrived at the proposed PMC.  Per the
>>> Apache phonebook ( http://people.apache.org/phonebook.html ) there’s 18
>>> members of the podling.  Yet the resolution has only 10 people.  How was
>>> that decided?        In a related question there appear to be community
>>> members who will be committers but not PMC members.  How was that
>>> distinction drawn?  And how is it known that the chair will be from
>>> Hortonworks, since no chair is yet named in the proposal below?
>>>
>>> Also, I’ve seen in many podlings it is helpful to keep one or more of the
>>> mentors on the PMC for the first year, as they can continue to give
>>> guidance.  Also, the mentors are often Apache members and thus have a
>>> deep knowledge of Apache ways that can come in helpful.  I’m not saying
>>> you have to keep all of the mentors but you should ask around and see
>>> which of them would be willing to stay on.
>>>
>>> As to the process of graduation, see
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
>>>
>>> Next steps:
>>> 1) Propose a chair for the PMC.
>>> 2) Answer any mentor concerns or questions
>>> 3) Formally vote on the resolution in the dev list
>>> 4) Propose graduation in the IPMC
>>> 5) Vote on graduation in the IPMC

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> Ramesh
>>>

>>> Project Graduation email content:
>>>

>>> Project Status:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ranger.html
>>>
>>> Project website:
>>> http://ranger.incubator.apache.org <http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> Project Documentation:
>>> http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/index.html
>>> http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/quick_start_guide.html
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Release+Folders
>>>
>>> Project maturity Assessment:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+Project+
>>> Ma
>>> turity+Model
>>>

>>> DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email
>>> Proposed PMC size: 15
>>>
>>> Total number of committers   : 14 members
>>> Total number of contributors : 22 members

>>> 8 PR’s on GitHub
>>> 22 contributors across all branches
>>> Dev list averaged ~60 msgs/month in 2016
>>> User list averaged ~50 msgs/month in 2016
>>> 1208 issues created
>>> 997 issues resolved
>>>
>>> Committer’s affiliation:
>>> Active:
>>> Hortonworks
>>> Talend
>>> Freestone infotech
>>> BlueTalon
>>> eBay

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

As to the process of graduation, see http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Mentors,

[...]

	and maintenance of software related to a data management platform that
[...]

Ranger podling