Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de> on 1997/10/25 02:14:42 UTC

[Q]: MD5 hash when serving byte ranges?!

When browsing through http_core.c, I thought I saw that the MD5 hash is
built over the entire file, even when only byte ranges from the file are
served. From RFC2068, it is unclear to me whether this is correct. An
intermediate cache need not have the complete document in its cache, so
it cannot verify correct reception based on a hash that covers the whole
file.

Shouldn't the hash be built only over the byte range served?

    Martin

Re: [Q]: MD5 hash when serving byte ranges?!

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
But it doesn't need the complete document ... it can determine if it has
the same document by comparing md5s of the entire document.  That's the
only thing that's important ... isn't it?  Or is md5 intended to alleviate
the TCP/IP checksum failure probability?

Dean