Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@samsung.com> on 2015/03/26 01:15:51 UTC

[Review request] release announcement

Hi PMCers and Committers,

I plan on cutting a release v0.7 soon, and prepare the release announcement.
Please review the JIRA issues and below announcement text.

Thanks.

== Apache Hama announces v0.7 Release! ==

Apache Hama team is pleased to announce the release of Hama v0.7 with new
features and improvements.

Hama is a High-Performance BSP computing engine, which can be used to
perform compute-intensive general scientific BSP applications, Google's
Pregel-like graph applications, and machine learning algorithms. Currently,
a number of researchers and developers from various organizations, such as
CERN, Sogou, Adobe, and Samsung Electronics, are involved in the Hama
project.

 What's Changes from previous release are?

The important new feature of this release is that support the Mesos and Yet
Another Resource Negotiator (YARN), so you're able to submit your BSP
applications to the existing open source and enterprise clusters e.g., CDH,
HDP, and Mesosphere without any installation.

There are also big improvements in the queue and messaging systems. We now
use own outgoing/incoming message manager instead of using Java's built-in
queues. It stores messages in serialized form in a set of bundles (or a
single bundle) to reduce the memory usage and RPC overhead. Kryo serializer
is used to serialize objects more quickly. Another important improvement is
the enhanced graph package. Instead of sending each message individually, we
package the messages per vertex and send a packaged message to their
assigned destination nodes. With this we achieved significant improvement in
the performance of graph applications.

What's Next?

After a month of testing and benchmarking (Thanks to Samsung Electronics),
we feel this version is easy to use and stable enough for the enterprise. So
now, we'll focus more on building community and developing enterprise-level
capabilities for running real world applications, such as support modern
infrastructure, fault tolerance, and machine learning and complex network
analysis of 3rd Gen internet for IoT era.

Where I can download it?

The release artifacts are published and ready for you to download either
from the Apache mirrors or from the Maven repository. We welcome your help,
feedback, and suggestions. For more information on how to report problems,
and to get involved, visit the Hama project website and wiki.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Re: [Review request] release announcement

Posted by Andronidis Anastasios <an...@hotmail.com>.
+1 with Tommaso, even though I don't mind references on companies/organizations.

Kindly,
Anastasios

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
thanks a lot, looks good to me!