Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be> on 2006/03/13 19:46:46 UTC

XML messaging

Hi,

I need to develop an XML messaging system.

For the moment, we receive messages by mail.  In the future, this will
be SOAP, but nobody is ready yet with the implementation, so, during
test, we send each other mails.

A message is an XML file, on which you have to respond.  Your response
is basically answering what you received and reporting errors if they occur.

Is there anybody in the community who has worked on this kind of project
before and who could help me with some basic advice.  I was also
wondering wether there was an engine that can handle this kind of
messaging, running on Linux and Windows.

This typically seems the work for Microsoft BizTalk, so I was kind of
wondering what answers the Linux community / Open Source community has
on BizTalk.

Regards,
Yves Vindevogel

Re: XML messaging

Posted by "Thomas.Soddemann" <so...@rzg.mpg.de>.
Have you had a look at WSRM? I have not used it personally yet, but it
may provide you with what you need.
As far as I understand it, you can basically send messages and have
their receipience acknowledged. The acknowledge message can carry in
addition to the WSRM requirements any information you want it to extend
with.

Thomas

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be>.
Ok, will look into that then !!
Tnx

ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:

>Hi Yves,
>
>I believe this is what the MQ quys call QoS (Quality of Service).  It
>definitely sounds like JMS is what you need.
>
>As an added benefit, if you use Apache Axis as your SOAP client when/if you
>go that route, there is a JMS provider that you can use that will leverage
>the effort that you're currently investing in JMS.
>

>Good Luck!
>

>Ian
>
>It's better to be hated for who you are
>than loved for who you are not
>
>Ian D. Stewart
>Appl Dev Analyst-Advisory, DCS Automation
>JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
>Phone: (614) 244-2564
>Pager: (888) 260-0078
>

>                      Yves Vindevogel
>                      <yves.vindevogel@imp        To:       users@cocoon.apache.org
>                      lements.be>                 cc:
>                                                  Subject:  Re: XML messaging
>                      03/16/2006 07:03 AM
>                      Please respond to
>                      users
>

>Yes, soap will be used in the future.
>I was more looking for a framework to build the messages that a way to
>transport them.
>
>Every message we receive must be answered to acknowledge reception.
>This is a quite complicated task because you must not only tell the
>other side you got the file, but you must tell it what you got.
>For instance, when we receive a group of data (a group is kinda like a
>database table), we must answer it by answering the message (groep 1),
>saying that we got  one group, then saying  how many items the group
>had,  saying that we checked the content of the group (for instance
>validating a  bank account nummer), ...
>
>Thomas.Soddemann wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>have you considered employing SOAP based Web Services for that?
>>You could go even further and use WSRF and WS-Notification.
>>
>>Just a thought,
>>Thomas

>(See attached file: yves.vindevogel.vcf)

Re: XML messaging

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Hi Yves,

I believe this is what the MQ quys call QoS (Quality of Service).  It
definitely sounds like JMS is what you need.

As an added benefit, if you use Apache Axis as your SOAP client when/if you
go that route, there is a JMS provider that you can use that will leverage
the effort that you're currently investing in JMS.

Good Luck!

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Yves Vindevogel
                      <yves.vindevogel@imp        To:       users@cocoon.apache.org
                      lements.be>                 cc:
                                                  Subject:  Re: XML messaging
                      03/16/2006 07:03 AM
                      Please respond to
                      users

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be>.

Re: XML messaging

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be>.
Thanks to both of you !!

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 13 mars 06 à 19:46, Yves Vindevogel a écrit :

> ...A message is an XML file, on which you have to respond.  Your
> response is basically answering what you received and reporting
> errors if they occur...

In the java world a good tool for this is JMS, an interface to
message buses which provide asynchronous guaranteed delivery,
transaction support, etc.

There is a JMS block in Cocoon, I don't know much about it but its
code can certainly be used as a starting point. Anyway accessing a
JMS bus from java is fairly easy.

Also, Daisy (the Cocoon-based CMS) uses a JMS bus internally, you
might want to have a look at their code for examples. They use
openjms for the bus IIRC, http://openjms.sourceforge.net/

AFAIU, ServiceMix (http://servicemix.org/) goes in the same
direction, you might also want to have a look at what they do.

-Bertrand

Re: XML messaging

Posted by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be>.
Nobody ??