Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dominic Parry <do...@rucus.ru.ac.za> on 2003/06/03 11:00:54 UTC

Catalina api and Jars

Hi

I don't have any of the jar files that people mention in this list regarding Catalina. Tomcat is up and working fine. These are the jars I have in my tomcat4.1\common\lib folder:

activation.jar
ant.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
commons-logging-api.jar
commons-pool.jar
jasper-compiler.jar
jasper-runtime.jar
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
jndi.jar
jta.jar
mail.jar
naming-common.jar
naming-factory.jar
naming-resources.jar
servlet.jar
tools.jar

Is this a problem? The only problem I've had so far is that I could use:

import org.apache.catalina.*;

but I can use:

org.apache.ant.*;

is there a list of jar files somewhere that I have overlooked? I'm assuming that if I have then I need to add that dir to my classpath.

Thanks

Dom

RE: Catalina api and Jars

Posted by James Lewis <ja...@goodtechnology.com>.
> but I can use:

I assume you mean can't.

> org.apache.ant.*;
>
> is there a list of jar files somewhere that I have overlooked?
> I'm assuming that if I have then I need to add that dir to my classpath.

There is also the server directory: <CATALINA_BASE>/server/lib, however (and
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) these jars, which include
"catalina-ant.jar" etc are not accessible from within your webapps for
security reasons (and as Master Shapira might say:), very good ones.

>From the tomcat class loader docs for 4.1x
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html):

"Catalina - This class loader is initialized to include all classes and
resources required to implement Tomcat 4 itself. These classes and resources
are TOTALLY invisible to web applications. All unpacked classes and
resources in:

$CATALINA_HOME/server/classes, as well as classes and resources in JAR files
under $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib, are made visible through this class loader.
By default, that includes the following: "<snip>

Cheers,

james