Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at> on 2010/11/01 18:03:53 UTC

maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with the maven-resources-plugin. I am
responsible for our CI-builds and have a Hudson set up on a Linux
environment.

Now, our developers are using Eclipse on Windows and therefore have
inadvertently configured the resources to be encoded in 'Cp1252',
instead of 'UTF-8'. Now some have accidentally included German Umlauts
in the resources, which I agree shouldn't be done in the first place.

The strange thing is that Maven builds without any problems on Windows
(even telling us that it is using UTF-8 encoding on the resources!), but
it fails with an exception on Linux!

Is there any way I can configure Maven to already fail the build on
Windows or have it configured so that it works on Linux? I want the
behavior of the two builds to be the same -- as it should be!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--
Roland Asmann
Senior Software Engineer

adesso Austria GmbH
Floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-27
Floridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1           F +43 1 2198790-927
A-1210 Wien                         M +43 664 88657566
                                    E roland.asmann@adesso.at
                                    W www.adesso.at

Re: maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.
Hello Simo,

That second settings is what I am actually using! The output in Maven
looks like this:

[INFO]
[INFO] Building deva - EJB
[INFO]    task-segment: [package]
[INFO]
[INFO] [resources:copy-resources {execution: copy-resources}]
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 15 resources
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] null

On Windows, the build error does not occur and the build continues on.
But on both systems Maven tells me it is using UTF-8 and only on Linux
does it actually stop the build.

And as you can see, the error I get is pretty obvious! :-)
Only after turning on debugging I found out that there were Umlauts in
the property-files and that they were encoded as Cp1252!

Roland

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roland,

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Roland,

Asmann, Roland wrote:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> That plugin is tuned for single files, right? That would mean I'd have
> to have all developers include the plugin with its configuration in
> their POMs... I'd rather have a solution in a parent-POM (we use a
> company-wide master)...
>
> Also, if there is at least one correct Umlaut in there, it will probably
> say the file is correct as well, right?
>
> So, in all, it's a nice workaround, but still not an actual solution...
> :-(

yes, that would have been a single file solution only. However, the real
problem is, that some people commit files with wrong encoding. If you tell
Maven that the file *is* UTF-8, then you have to ensure, that only files in
this encoding can be committed at all e.g. in Subversion using a commit
hook.

The problem is the *detection*. We normally force ASCII. This is fine for
all kind of source code and easy to detect. If some non-ASCII character has
to be in the code, you can always encode it with a Unicode notation (e.g.
\uXXXX). This is true for Java, property files, JavaScript, XML, HTML, ...

- Jörg

Re: maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.
Hi Jörg,

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Roland,

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.
Hmmm... Those last two are worth a shot... I'll try that tomorrow when I
have access to the build-server again.

There's no profiles in this project, so that can't be it.

Roland

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi Roland,

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.
How do you mean?

I have already told our developers to please switch to UTF-8 (as they
should've been doing in the first place), but just in case they forget,
I want to have Maven complain on their Windows-machines. I don't see how
switching to ISO-8859-1 helps in this case?

Roland

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Asmann, Roland" <Ro...@adesso.at>.
Hi,