Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Allison <ta...@tacocat.net> on 2006/09/04 16:11:38 UTC

svn project creation problems

I'm trying to configure my svn repository but it seems I am completely unable to
create any additional projects without going in directly and manually creating
the directories necessary to get the project underway.

I've followed as many examples and such as I can find and they all end up in
approximately the same spot:

svn import . svn://localhost/
svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost'

svn import . svn://localhost/testpile
svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost/testpile'

however:
svn checkout svn://localhost/depot/
works like a charm everytime...  So there is something there.

Additionally:
svn import login svn://localhost/login
svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost/login'
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    'svn-commit.tmp'

or

svn import login svn://localhost/
svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost'
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    'svn-commit.2.tmp'

So far I'm managed to fail the examples in the Pragmatic Version Control book
and the online version of the subversion book.

Under the hood of my svn repository (permissions and such)

repository location is
drwxrwx---  3 svnadmin subversion   4096 2006-09-04 11:29 svn

/etc/passwd
svnadmin:x:113:1005::/home/svn:/bin/false

/etc/group
subversion:x:1005:tallison,svnadmin

I'm not sure what to look for next.  This is really frustrating.

Re: svn project creation problems

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 4, 2006, at 18:11, Tom Allison wrote:

> I'm trying to configure my svn repository but it seems I am
> completely unable to create any additional projects without going
> in directly and manually creating the directories necessary to get
> the project underway.
>
> I've followed as many examples and such as I can find and they all
> end up in approximately the same spot:
>
> svn import . svn://localhost/
> svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost'
>
> svn import . svn://localhost/testpile
> svn: No repository found in 'svn://localhost/testpile'
>
> however:
> svn checkout svn://localhost/depot/
> works like a charm everytime...  So there is something there.

Subversion has no notion of a "project." There are just Subversion
repositories, which contain files and directories. You can elect to
either create a separate repository for each project, which you then
have to do manually with "svnadmin create <repo>", or you can store
all projects in a single repository, in which case then you can just
import into it which will create a new directory in the repository
for your new project. There are arguments for and against both
strategies; you'll have to decide which you want to use. It's not
super-easy, but also not impossible, to change from single-repo to
multi-repo, or vice-versa, later.