Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/09/10 17:05:27 UTC

I want to standardize our build files based on proposal

I want to go through to stanadardize our build files based on
the proposal I sent out last week.  It is pretty straightforward,
except for the Cornerstone project.  The apps dir has sub-builds.

There does seem to be a common approach to the builds--which is
good.  However, the main build process takes care of the demo
sar.  The Demo should be taken care of by the "apps" directory.

That way, the bars are built by Cornerstone main, and the demo,
ftpserver, and jesktop sars include the necessary bars.

Also, is there a common approach for installing base "bars" that
would be used by multiple "sars".  In other words, the concept of
the Cornerstone bars being default core blocks is not allowed if
the bars must be included in each sar.

I would propose packaging to exclude the core blocks from the
ftpesrver, jesktop, and demo server apps.  They can include any
extra block archives they need to do their jobs.  The default
block archives would be installed in Phoenix's lib directory.

Does this make sense?

Re: I want to standardize our build files based on proposal

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:05, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I want to go through to stanadardize our build files based on
> the proposal I sent out last week.

+1

> There does seem to be a common approach to the builds--which is
> good.  However, the main build process takes care of the demo
> sar.  The Demo should be taken care of by the "apps" directory.

That would be good - so we move org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.demos into
apps/demo or similar ????

> Also, is there a common approach for installing base "bars" that
> would be used by multiple "sars".  In other words, the concept of
> the Cornerstone bars being default core blocks is not allowed if
> the bars must be included in each sar.

Not at this stage. (Its a todo - see recent mail about extensions).

> I would propose packaging to exclude the core blocks from the
> ftpesrver, jesktop, and demo server apps.  They can include any
> extra block archives they need to do their jobs.  The default
> block archives would be installed in Phoenix's lib directory.

-1

They can't be stored in Phoenixs lib directory as I suspect not all of them
can be guarenteed that they will operate 100% from this classloader. (They
may use statics, not rely on ContextClassLoader or some of dependent
libraries may not be safe).

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: I want to standardize our build files based on proposal

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Berin,

+1 for all.  Particularly the concept of a Default Block outside the sar
file.... this is already a feature had escaped me.

- Paul