Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com> on 2005/06/22 20:48:25 UTC

resolving w3c XHTML entities?

I'm trying to use

	WEB-INF/entities/w3c/xhtml-special.ent
	WEB-INF/entities/w3c/xhtml-lat1.ent

My doctype looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE stylesheet
[
  <!ENTITY % HTMLSpecial PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special for XHTML//EN"
    "xhtml-special.ent">
  %ISOnum;
  <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
    "xhtml-lat1.ent">
  %ISOpub;
]>

The entities aren't getting picked up.  I also tried (first) with e.g.
"w3c/xhtml-special.ent", and that didn't work either.

I must confess that I've never really understood entity catalogs and
this stuff in the DTDs at all!  I've read explanations of it and they
all seem to just bounce right off of my brain for some reason.  It
can't be that complicated, there just must be some impedance mismatch
between the explanations and my brain.  So anyway... this stuff is all
voodoo to me, and I've tried the voodoo that I thought would work and
it didn't :-/  Any ideas? :-)

Thx!
—ml—

Re: resolving w3c XHTML entities?

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.
Hi Mark,

In cocoon.xconf you will find a <entity-resolver> element which contains a parameter pointing to a
catalog. Make sure that this catalog refers to your entity files, using the public identifiers you
are using yourself. Note that you can direct to other catalog files with the CATALOG keyword.

If the entity-resolver can't handle the public id, it needs to find the system id's, but these
depent on the context in which the file is parsed. Most likely, "xhtml-special.ent" is interpreted
as path-of-sitemap/xhtml-special.ent. That will not work. You can fix this, by adding pipeline
matches that can provide the resolver with the needed files, but on the location it is looking for.

Might be useful to add such pipelines anyhow. Serializing XML with doctypes will make IE complain it
cannot find the dtd or entity files when the doctype or local declaration subset doesn't use fully
qualified http addresses...

HTH,
Geert

--
Geert.Josten@Daidalos.nl
IT-consultant at Daidalos BV, Bleiswijk (NL)

http://www.daidalos.nl/
tel:+31-(0)10-850 12 00
fax:+31-(0)10-850 11 99

GPG: 1024D/12DEBB50