Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Redefined Horizons <re...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/06 20:53:22 UTC

Creating a Debian Package for libsvn-javahl.

I've been trying to get Subclipse, the Subversion plug-in for Eclipse,
workin on my Debian Linux box for a couple of weeks. It looks like I'm
running out of things to try. I would like to build a Debian package
for the libsvn-javahl portion of Subversion. I've got some programming
experience, but I haven't tried rolling my own Debian Package yet.

Can I access just the source code for the javahl library, or do I need
to isolate it from the other portions of the Subversion source code
myself? I know this may sound like silly question, but I'm not sure
how else to put it. I don't want to make packages for all of
Subversion, just the Javahl library.

If someone else is working on this I'd be glad to help. If not, I'll
try to fight my way through it and will make my package available
online so others can benefit.

Thanks,

Scott Huey

Re: Creating a Debian Package for libsvn-javahl.

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Mark Phippard]
> I have not used it on a straight Debian install, but I have used it
> on Ubuntu and other distros.

Ubuntu uses our packaging, only slightly modified, so it's good to hear
that it works.

> I have seen that Ubuntu is now installing the library into a
> /usr/lib/jni path, but even this path is not included in Sun's Java
> default search path.  I do not know if other JRE's are different.

Then I think your Sun Java install isn't Debian-policy-compliant.  I'm
pretty sure Java runtimes are supposed to look in /usr/lib/jni without
any special prompting.  So I'm guessing this problem is from whoever
manages the Sun JRE packaging for Debian/Ubuntu.

Re: Creating a Debian Package for libsvn-javahl.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> wrote on 07/06/2006 07:14:07 PM:

> [Scott Huey]
> > I've been trying to get Subclipse, the Subversion plug-in for
> > Eclipse, workin on my Debian Linux box for a couple of weeks. It
> > looks like I'm running out of things to try. I would like to build a
> > Debian package for the libsvn-javahl portion of Subversion. I've got
> > some programming experience, but I haven't tried rolling my own
> > Debian Package yet.
>
> As Mark Phippard points out, libsvn-javahl is already available.
> However, I don't have any way to test it at present, since I don't know
> Java and haven't tried to get subclipse to run.  One user informs me
> that libsvn-javahl works, but it would be nice to have someone else
> confirm this.  Could you let us know how well it is working or not
> working, and any thoughts on packaging issues in general, at
> <pk...@lists.alioth.debian.org>?  You can also
> find us on irc.debian.org #debian-svn.

I have not used it on a straight Debian install, but I have used it on
Ubuntu and other distros.  The main issue that tends to come up once the
library is installed is that Sun's version of Java only looks for
libraries in its own lib folders and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and most distros seem
to not set LD_LIBRARY_PATH any more.  So you either need to symlink the
JavaHL library into one of the JRE lib folders that it searches, or you
need to start Eclipse with a script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
starting Eclipse.

I have seen that Ubuntu is now installing the library into a /usr/lib/jni
path, but even this path is not included in Sun's Java default search
path.  I do not know if other JRE's are different.

Mark

Re: Creating a Debian Package for libsvn-javahl.

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Scott Huey]
> I've been trying to get Subclipse, the Subversion plug-in for
> Eclipse, workin on my Debian Linux box for a couple of weeks. It
> looks like I'm running out of things to try. I would like to build a
> Debian package for the libsvn-javahl portion of Subversion. I've got
> some programming experience, but I haven't tried rolling my own
> Debian Package yet.

As Mark Phippard points out, libsvn-javahl is already available.
However, I don't have any way to test it at present, since I don't know
Java and haven't tried to get subclipse to run.  One user informs me
that libsvn-javahl works, but it would be nice to have someone else
confirm this.  Could you let us know how well it is working or not
working, and any thoughts on packaging issues in general, at
<pk...@lists.alioth.debian.org>?  You can also
find us on irc.debian.org #debian-svn.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Creating a Debian Package for libsvn-javahl.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Redefined Horizons" <re...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/06/2006
04:53:22 PM:

> I've been trying to get Subclipse, the Subversion plug-in for Eclipse,
> workin on my Debian Linux box for a couple of weeks. It looks like I'm
> running out of things to try. I would like to build a Debian package
> for the libsvn-javahl portion of Subversion. I've got some programming
> experience, but I haven't tried rolling my own Debian Package yet.
>
> Can I access just the source code for the javahl library, or do I need
> to isolate it from the other portions of the Subversion source code
> myself? I know this may sound like silly question, but I'm not sure
> how else to put it. I don't want to make packages for all of
> Subversion, just the Javahl library.
>
> If someone else is working on this I'd be glad to help. If not, I'll
> try to fight my way through it and will make my package available
> online so others can benefit.

Can't you just get it via apt?  How did you get Subversion?

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/libsvn-javahl

Ubuntu also has packages (do not know if they would work on Debian).

JavaHL is part of Subversion and you would normally build Subversion to
get it if you were going to build from source.  There is some info here:

http://subclipse.tigris.org/faq.html#build-javahl

Mark