Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John WHALE <jw...@tgnetworks.com.au> on 2002/04/24 18:21:40 UTC

restrict access to a directory

trying to restrict access to one directory on my server. do you know the
syntax of the path to dir when using a netware server. I
have tried sugestions using the path "volume:\dir\dir and
//ipadd/vol/dir/dir  but neither seem to work

the lines i added to my httpd.conf file are as follows:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "FPS SECURE AREA"
AuthUserFile "SYS:\apache\pwords"
require valid-user

any ideas where I am going wrong

With Kind Regards
John V Whale
Mobile: 0410 654 285
Phone: +61 2 9221 1571
Fax: +61 2 9221 1578
AIM: whaleynovl

Re: restrict access to a directory

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
John WHALE wrote:

> trying to restrict access to one directory on my server. do you know the
> syntax of the path to dir when using a netware server. I
> have tried sugestions using the path "volume:\dir\dir and
> //ipadd/vol/dir/dir  but neither seem to work
>
> the lines i added to my httpd.conf file are as follows:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "FPS SECURE AREA"
> AuthUserFile "SYS:\apache\pwords"
> require valid-user
>
> any ideas where I am going wrong

I don't know how paths are expressed on netware but what you have seems
sensible... However, if your server is working at all, you must have a
DocumentRoot and/or a ServerRoot directive - how do you define the paths
there?

In any case, could you please be more specific about "not working" -
When you try to enter the protected directory do you get 404 not found
or 401 Unauthorized or 403 Forbidden or Internal Server Error or The
Server Is Not Accepting Connections or Timeout or what?

If it one of the error codes then look in the error_log, what does it
say there?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.