Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/02/07 16:50:55 UTC

How about upgrading to Xerces 2.0alpha?

I just tested the newest Xerces, and it works without
modification.  It makes use of Jaxp 1.1 extensions which
let you tell the SAXParserFactory to only create Parsers
that implement namespaces.

That will also allow us to simply rename the XercesParser
Component to JaxpParser.  Any other parser that requires
wrapping will need a separate parser component.

The change will let us do the following:

* change org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.XercesParser to
  org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.JaxpParser
* Use Jaxp 1.1 specs which allow us to specify that we only
  want namespace compliant SAXParsers.
* Make Cocoon work with any Jaxp 1.1 compliant parser--meaning
  we aren't dependant on any one parser being available.

Re: How about upgrading to Xerces 2.0alpha?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I just tested the newest Xerces, and it works without
> modification.  It makes use of Jaxp 1.1 extensions which
> let you tell the SAXParserFactory to only create Parsers
> that implement namespaces.
>
> That will also allow us to simply rename the XercesParser
> Component to JaxpParser.  Any other parser that requires
> wrapping will need a separate parser component.
>
> The change will let us do the following:
>
> * change org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.XercesParser to
>   org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.JaxpParser
> * Use Jaxp 1.1 specs which allow us to specify that we only
>   want namespace compliant SAXParsers.
> * Make Cocoon work with any Jaxp 1.1 compliant parser--meaning
>   we aren't dependant on any one parser being available.

I just remembered.  I still had Xerces 1.2.3 in my classpath.
Xerces 2.0.0 does not have the Serializers which we are hopelessly
dependant on.  I am not sure if I like that.  Do you think we can
get Xerces to separate out the Serializer packages from the
jar?