Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/09 12:49:03 UTC

Chukwa status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "October2012" by EricYang)

Hi,

Thanks for the report, Chukwa!

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> + Chukwa is an open source data collection system for monitoring large
> + distributed systems. Chukwa is built on top of the Hadoop Distributed
> + File System (HDFS), HBase and Map/Reduce framework and inherits Hadoop’s
> + scalability and robustness. Chukwa also includes a flexible and powerful
> + toolkit for displaying, monitoring and analyzing results to make the best
> + use of the collected data.

I added a line that mentions that you started incubation in July 2010.

> +   More patches are received from new committer and contributors.  The new patches
> +   are better quality to polish Chukwa code base for 0.6 release.  Chukwa community
> +   need to train new release manager to release Chukwa 0.6 to ensure the community
> +   can continue to flourish.  The previous concern of inactive development is less
> +   concerning than during January to July time frame.

OK, thanks for the update.

I'd recommend to keep an eye on the activity level, especially to make
sure that the mentioned contributors won't have to wait for days or
weeks to have their patches reviewed and applied (I'd also recommend
mentors to step in such cases if you have spare cycles). For example
in the first week of this month chukwa-dev@ saw only a single line of
new discussion [1] (that line was a useful contribution, asking for
test cases though only 8 days after the patch update) and there have
been no commits in almost a month.

Based on that I'm going to categorize Chukwa under low activity and
would really love to see activity pick up again in the next few weeks.
Otherwise you'll risk being back in the "more activity, or retire"
situation you already discussed earlier.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-chukwa-dev/201210.mbox/%3C1702625474.164164.1349334547853.JavaMail.jiratomcat%40arcas%3E

BR,

Jukka Zitting