Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/10 15:41:28 UTC

should we enable signed commits on our github repos?

Who knows why we haven't enabled signed commits on the apache repos -
should we require all commits to be signed?

-r

Ref: https://help.github.com/articles/signing-commits-using-gpg/

Re: should we enable signed commits on our github repos?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 6:23 PM Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...working with @vincent to
> publish his key to avoid this:
>    gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>    gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner....

I'm not sure if this is related to GitHub, AFAIK what's happening is
that Vincent's GPG key is not signed by other people in a way that
creates a chain of signatures to your own key.

We usually have key signing events at Apache conferences, see
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#key-signing-party and
the following sections.

-Bertrand

Re: should we enable signed commits on our github repos?

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Vincent's key is now properly signed and listed in a public directory - so
that error should no longer appear.
It was that error though which prompted me to ask if we should have
contributors sign their commits.

From the feedback so far, it seems unnecessary, and undesirable.

-r

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt, I think the concern is for the runtime repso, and the cli related
repos for example:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-nodejs/releases

all the runtime repos and the cli have "releases" which are not the same -
we used this more as stable builds for dependence management (until we can
adopt the official releases).

-r

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/12/2018 09:58 AM
Subject:        Re: should we enable signed commits on our github repos?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/12/2018 09:32 AM

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
+1 no more hurdles, signed, tagged releases are just fine by me...

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Rob Allen <ro...@akrabat.com>.