Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/12 10:27:44 UTC

Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Hi,

We are using Cocoon 2.1.11 with Maven and Java 6.

I just joined the company, and I get a few thousand errors in eclipse when I
import the project -
As it seems the reason is that Java 6 includes a lot of new org.w3c classes,
that hadn't been in the other JDKs before,
so these classes were implemented by third party projects - now with Java 6
both versions
clash and I get those errors, while, magically, everything works fine on the
other developers' machines -
I assume it works for them because they do have Java 4, 5 and 6 on their
machines, or whatsoever -
but instead of trying to adjust my system I would like to do it proper and
to make it work for every "clean system" too.

Does anyone of you have a pom for Cocoon 2.1.11, or do you know if I could
update to Cocoon 2.2 without any worries?
I don't know much about Cocoon yet, but it seems there are several Cocoon
plugins for Cocoon 2.2. The project, however,
neither seems to provide a pom, but maybe it's not necessary because you can
use the plugins instead?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Armin Ehrenfels <Ar...@t-online.de>.
Have you checked at the Cocoon web site, to what degree version 2.1.11
supports maven ?  I can remember an extended discussion about how to use
maven in conjunction with this version, but IIRC, many experienced
users/developers recommended the switch to 2.2. Maybe that has changed.

Good luck

Armin

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my [rhymes with myPod] ;-)

On 12 Jun 2009, at 14:04, Dominic Mitchell <do...@semantico.com> wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2009, at 12:57, Martin Gainty wrote:
>> please keep us apprised as many others are (considering a) move to
>> cocoon
>
> Just out of interest, why are you considering moving to Cocoon?
>
> -Dom

yes, please enlighten us, we are currently running away as fast as we
can

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Dominic Mitchell <do...@semantico.com>.

RE: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
peter

i would suggest a quick refactor of cocoon in a environment you can control
(laptop ..show this to devs and 'political operatives' that the refactor to cocoon works)

please keep us apprised as many others are (considering a) move to cocoon
Martin Gainty
on the second point our new prez has restored democracy for the US!

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Dominic Mitchell <do...@semantico.com>.
On 12 Jun 2009, at 12:42, Armin Ehrenfels wrote:
> sorry, I don't know of any. As I wrote in my last reply , there was a
> discussion on the mail lists about how to use maven with  Cocoon
> 2.1.11,
> but at that time, there were archetypes available for Cocoon2.2 only.

You're unlikely to see archetypes for anything on the cocoon 2.1
line.  Mostly because you have to rebuild cocoon from source in the
first place just to get started.

If you want to use maven with Cocoon, you're much better off with 2.2.

That said, I did use the maven-ant-tasks to pull in non-cocoon
dependencies in a 2.1 project.  Whilst it works OK, it's not as nice
as proper maven support.

-Dom

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Armin Ehrenfels <Ar...@t-online.de>.
Martin,

 sorry, I don't know of any. As I wrote in my last reply , there was a
discussion on the mail lists about how to use maven with  Cocoon 2.1.11,
but at that time, there were archetypes available for Cocoon2.2 only.

Regards

Armin

RE: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Herr Ehrenfels

Re: Maven + Cocoon 2.1.11

Posted by Armin Ehrenfels <Ar...@t-online.de>.
 A few months ago, I developed a Groovy based component for Cocoon 2.2.
I found the maven support very good. There were, at that time, a few
very helpful archetypes that made setting up the project easy. I
remember the Cocoon community as being very active, friendly and supportive.
 From my experience, I'd switch to Cocoon 2.2, as it is tailored to use