Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2022/05/11 08:02:51 UTC

Announcing UIMA releases via GitHub / updates to release process

Hi all,

I have been looking into whether we can announce UIMA releases via the GitHub "Releases" feature.
Here is a relevant thread on the ASF LEGAL Jira:

tl;dr:

* the "release" feature seems in principle usable with a few caveats
* there is a WIP proposal for a new more Git based ASF release policy [1] which involves release voters to sign commits
* UIMA Java SDK 3.3.0 release announcement on GitHub: https://github.com/apache/uima-uimaj/releases/tag/rel%2Fuimaj-3.3.0
  (note in particular the "Downloads" section at the end)

Although the this proposal is still in the process of development, I will have a closer look at the git commit signing
feature and would tentatively suggest we adopt this concept as part of the UIMA release process as well. I will update
the release guidelines accordingly. Although a fully updated release guidelines will likely not be available for the
upcoming uimaFIT and Ruta releases, I would suggest that we still try the tag-signing idea for these two upcoming
releases.

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OkIHf_P-ZvFAg9PZqHiZZZJdO6yYrW2kYfFhU0j9ZZM/edit#heading=h.ykfvhahn6w05