Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Josh Patterson <jo...@cloudera.com> on 2011/10/14 22:32:27 UTC

input data parameter with RecommenderJob in 0.5

I was having trouble with the "-i" parameter for the RecommenderJob in
Mahout 0.5

ie:

mahout recommenditembased -i /hdfs/dir ....

kept telling me that I had not given it a hdfs directory. When i used the full:

mahout recommenditembased --input /hdfs/dir ....

it ran the job. Anyone else seen this before?

Also, can anyone shed a bit of light on using the "--usersFile" flag
vs not using it; Seems like it recommends for all users if I dont give
it, and I'd assume for only specific users (based on what the code is
telling me) if you provide it?

JP

--
Twitter: @jpatanooga
Solution Architect @ Cloudera

Re: input data parameter with RecommenderJob in 0.5

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
> Sebastian, how about I just remove their short forms, for -itemsFile
> and -usersFile?

Good idea.

--sebastian

Re: input data parameter with RecommenderJob in 0.5

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I see the problem. Actually, this job is accidentally mixing up two
options by giving them the same short name, -i. You are correctly
using -i as short for -input (which works, good), but it's also using
-i for -itemsFile which is something else.

Sebastian, how about I just remove their short forms, for -itemsFile
and -usersFile?

Yes, that's just what -usersFile means. (And -itemsFile means
something analogous.)