Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Wouter Samaey <wo...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/19 16:22:38 UTC

randomizing search results with even display chance

Hi,

I'm currently new at Lucene and Solr, but I've managed to get some
results so far, and like the project very much.
For my current project, I need to randomize the search results, but
still keep the sorting by relevance. For example, If 3 results have
the same score, they can be ordered 1-2-3, 2-1-3-, 3-2-1, 2-3-1, etc
with every new search.

And...another thing I'm interested in is how to make sure the
different results have equal display times if the scoring is the same.
If for example 20 results have the same score, and I only show 5 in my
app, I still want result nr 19 to be shown as many times as result 1,
because the score is the same.

I know a search engine is meant to rank result by score, but I want
every result (with the same score) to have the same "face time" by
randomizing the order.

Can anyone tell me if these things would be possible, and/or where to
start looking?

Thanks in advance

Re: randomizing search results with even display chance

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/1aa4debdfe46d824/random_search_result

For your case, sort by score first and the random field second.

sort=score desc, random84235 desc

-Yonik