Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com> on 2001/03/19 15:05:11 UTC

nested tags again - Q

Hi,

Maybe this question was posted already. I am sorry for the repetition.
Can somebody suggest what is the best case to resolve this expression
(maybe nested tags are not working):

key="admin.domaindn"/>>'/>

value of domainID is still  <%= <bean:message key="admin.domaindn"/>>

Thank you all in advance.

Maya

Re: PropertyUtils.copyProperties ?

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
Thank you, Craig. You were right. I had removed (and forgot) a hidden property,
because I cannot figure out how to replace "nested tags".

Can somebody help me to replace <html:hidden property="B" value='<bean:message key
="A"/>'/>
Do I need to use <jsp:useBean ...><jsp:getProperty...> and bean class is
org.apache.struts.BEAN ...

Thanks,

Maya

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I am using PropertyUtils.copyProperties(user, info) then original bean
> info must to have all properties that user bean has? If info has only 3
> properties, and user has 18, copy will not work? I need to use this way,
> because, for example, logon form needs only 3 properties, but user form (full
> user info) has 18 properties. And only user bean has a method (function) to
> check if a user is legal.

The copyProperties() method will only copy when the property names
match.  It will ignore any unmatching properties in the origin or
destination beans.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Maya

Craig

PropertyUtils.copyProperties ?

Re: How do I really bypass the deficient of a HTM editor?

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
Hi, Keith,

I think, DreamWeaver has an implementation to display custom tags (UltraDev),
and now they are working to embed a support for the struts. Can you give
example you are talking about? Do you want, that tags will send additional
HTML code?

Maya

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
It appears that <bean:message> makes this call at the end of its
doStartTag() method:

    return (SKIP_BODY);

while <html:input> makes this call:

    return (EVAL_BODY_TAG);

I suppose that is forcing the error message to be displayed. Too bad since
it really aids in prototyping to be able to substitute text in this field at
design time. Not being familiar with JSP (and my books are not with me), I
would assume that there is a mechanism for ignoring the body, but allowing
it.

jim

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Troy Hart <th...@part.net>.
check orion out... (http://www.orionserver.com/)

Posted by Scott Walter <tx...@yahoo.com>.
In my opinion the performance of Tomcat is pretty
good.  However most j2ee apps servers have very good
performance including weblogic, iplanet, silverstream,
etc.

scott.

=====
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by James Howe <jw...@allencreek.com>.

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
I think, it will be slower because you have one central servlet DISPATCHER that
is sending a "job" to different Actions. When you have some JSP that are
sending "job" themselves to other JSP, it is faster. Is it convenient? I think
- no, because a creator JSP does not know java. And change flow, redesign
difficult.
Now, I have this "pie".

Maya

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Abraham Kang <ab...@infogain.com>.
Keith,

Can you gives some benchmark details and sample code that you ran in your
tests?

--Abraham

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
Currently I'm using ServletExec-AS (with Apache) on Win98 and it seems
pretty easy to use and relatively fast. It also has a nice admin interface
for deploying and defining web apps.
You can download it from http://www.servletexec.com/download.jsp. I don't
think you have to enter any information. I believe the only limitation is
that an un-registered version gives you up to 3 concurrent connections. I've
also been able to get Cocoon running pretty easily which I have never been
able to do with Tomcat. I don't have any real metrics to offer though.

>    I am sorry if I offend anyone. I am evaluating struts and notice that
the
> performance is much lower that if I use string jsp and servlets.
>    Has anyone have the same experience as I do? If so, is there any way to
> improve the performance?

Struts based apps (or any app that uses custom tags heavily) are going to
be significantly impacted by the quality of the JSP implementation in your
container.  Which version are you using?  (NOTE:  Tomcat's performance
w.r.t. JSP pages is pretty awful, for example).

> Thanks!
> keith

Craig McClanahan

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Keith wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am sorry if I offend anyone. I am evaluating struts and notice that the
> performance is much lower that if I use string jsp and servlets.
>    Has anyone have the same experience as I do? If so, is there any way to
> improve the performance?

Struts based apps (or any app that uses custom tags heavily) are going to
be significantly impacted by the quality of the JSP implementation in your
container.  Which version are you using?  (NOTE:  Tomcat's performance
w.r.t. JSP pages is pretty awful, for example).

> Thanks!
> keith

Craig McClanahan

Performance of struts

Re: nested tags again - Q

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe this question was posted already. I am sorry for the repetition.
> Can somebody suggest what is the best case to resolve this expression
> (maybe nested tags are not working):

> key="admin.domaindn"/>>'/>

This is not legal JSP syntax.  You are not allowed to nest custom tag uses
inside an attribute value.

The closest you can come is to use JSP scriptlet expressions to go get the
data you are looking for.

> value of domainID is still  <%= <bean:message key="admin.domaindn"/>>
>
> Thank you all in advance.
>
> Maya

Craig McClanahan

Re: nested tags again - Q

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
Thank you, Scott,
If this is not a company "secret" can you share your tag?
Maya

Re: nested tags again - Q

Posted by Scott Walter <tx...@yahoo.com>.

=====