Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2016/06/07 09:17:14 UTC

Using modern development tools for friendlier environment for newcomers

Hi devs,

Recently a colleague of mine asked me what it takes to become an Apache
committer.
I've explained him that he has to choose a project that is interesting to
him and start participating in the mailing lists (helping others at users@,
giving opinion and testing releases at dev@), providing patches for open
issues, etc.
Few days later he came back with the following questions:

1) Why Tomcat still uses SVN?
I've told him that this is the SCM tool most of the committers have
experience with and there were some discussions to move to Git several
months back.
I've recommended him to use GitHub's Pull Requests for the time being - PRs
are monitored and merged if approved. Even if Tomcat was using Git, Apache
Infra doesn't provide tool with Pull Request support (GitLab, Gerrit, or
similar) anyway so there is no big difference from a contributor point of
view.

2) Why Tomcat uses Bugzilla?
It is archaic and its UI is unfriendly - he said.
To be honest I didn't have a good answer here. I also don't like Bugzilla.
Everybody knows how to use JIRA! It is hard to explain that Apache JIRA
runs on Tomcat, but Tomcat project itself uses Perl software for issue
tracking (no matter how good Bugzilla is).

I know that SVN, Git, JIRA, Bugzilla are just tools. We can do our work
with any of them.
Maybe there are more (and more important!) reasons why my colleague didn't
start contributing to Tomcat yet but I also agree with him that by moving
to more modern tools Tomcat will become easier and friendlier for newcomers.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Re: Using modern development tools for friendlier environment for newcomers

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> On 6/8/16 3:25 AM, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> >> users@,
> open

> >> PRs
> >> Apache
> or
> of
> >>
> >> If I recall correctly, the consensus last time around was that there was
> >> merit in exploring the options for using git further with a view to
> >> migrating if the majority were convinced there was a benefit to the
> move.
> >>
> >> There is an outstanding task (I need to chase it up) for the infra team
> >> to look at if we could move to a single git repo for multiple branches
> >> or would need multiple repos.
> >>

> > One repo should be possible.
> > Even if there are some problems with the initial conversion from SVN to
> Git
> > the person dealing with it could create N Git repos and then with the
> help
> > of "git remote add" combine them into one with N branches and finally
> push
> > those branches into a single repository.

> >> Bugzilla.
> >>
> >> My personal view is Jira is overly complex and horribly slow. Bugzilla
> >>

> > I think JIRA is slower because the majority of the projects are there.
> > But I guess it would be an overkill for Infra to maintain several
> instances
> > of JIRA (e.g. sharded by project name).
>
> I think it's slower because it's a sledgehammer where a screwdriver will
> do the job. I've never liked JIRA, but as was previously said "tools are
> tools".

At my $dailyJob JIRA is not slow at all.
It is Apache JIRA installation problem, not every JIRA installation.
If you are subscribed to infra@ you will see that people complain
relatively often that it is either down or slow. Last such mail is from
yesterday!
IMO Apache JIRA should be split into several instances.
But here is not the place to discuss this topic!

What I was trying to explain is that Tomcat looks like an ageing product
from a tooling point of view: Bugzilla, SVN, ANT, Gump.
It is hard to make Tomcat development attractive to work with tools from
the 90s (figuratively said).

I am not saying that by changing the tooling suddenly a lot of developers
will want to contribute!
I just share the opinion that many developers consider these things when
trying to find an OSS to contribute to.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.