Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Karl von Randow <ka...@xk72.com> on 2005/11/23 00:46:25 UTC

Input taglib

Hi all,

I've reawakened after a long period of absense and I'm focussed now on
getting out a 1.2 release.

What I'm adding at the moment is full XHTML attribute support for the tags,
so that you can use them easily. In version 1.1 you had to write stuff like
this:

<input:text name="blah" size="20" attributesText='class="myclass" id="myid"
onclick="blah blah"' />

Which was ugly and hard to get your quotes right! So I've added in
attributes for all the XHTML attributes so you can use it more like:

<input:text name="blah" size="20" className="myclass" id="myid"
onclick="blah blah" />

Note I've had to use className instead of class because you can't use
"class" as a taglib property. Does anyone know any different on that? It
would be neat to not have to use className!

It's quite a major addition, but won't have any regression effects.

I'm also trying to work through the current bugs on the taglib as well so
that they are all resolved.

Cheers,
Karl

RE: Input taglib

Posted by Karl von Randow <ka...@xk72.com>.
Definitely a great idea to do some clean up - take the opportunity to
correct design mistakes or legacy across the board. I'd need to think more
carefully on it but I don't actually think there's much that I'd want to
change about the input taglib. It's pretty barebones... Maybe some renaming
of attributes based on the current bug-discussion on the options Map
attributes. Summary: I'm not finding it limiting working with backwards
compatibility in mind.

Cheers,
Karl

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/05, Karl von Randow <ka...@xk72.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> Yes, attributesText remains so you can work it both ways :) There's even an
> attributes map that takes names and values.
>
> I did notice that struts used styleClass. I based className on other
> implementations with the same problem, it seems to be a bit of a defacto
> standard:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_el_ref4.html
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/classna
> me.asp
>
> I think it is a case of 'no way to do it'. The <jsp:useBean> tag just
> tantalises us :)
>
> Yes I've read about Silk but I'm not completely up with the play on where
> and how it's happening. I guess it's an opportunity to ignore regression and
> throw out deprecated bits and pieces?

<snip/>

Well, its been silent for a while, atleast as much as I'm aware. But I
do wonder whether that might serve as an opportunity to do some "clean
up" as you point out above.

Opinions?

-Rahul

> Cheers,
> Karl

<snip/>

RE: Input taglib

Posted by Karl von Randow <ka...@xk72.com>.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I agree, className appears to be the most used
solution to the class keyword problem. I'm going to stick with it unless
there are any objections?

Cheers,
Karl

Posted by Martin Reurings <ma...@windgazer.nl>.
Karl,

--
(   /'  _/_ __  _ _
|/|///)(/(/(//_(-/
        _/

RE: Input taglib

> I've reawakened after a long period of absense and I'm focussed now on
> getting out a 1.2 release.

<snip/>

Welcome back :-)

> What I'm adding at the moment is full XHTML attribute support for the
tags,
> so that you can use them easily. In version 1.1 you had to write stuff
like
> this:
>
> <input:text name="blah" size="20" attributesText='class="myclass"
id="myid"
> onclick="blah blah"' />
>
> Which was ugly and hard to get your quotes right! So I've added in
> attributes for all the XHTML attributes so you can use it more like:
>
> <input:text name="blah" size="20" className="myclass" id="myid"
> onclick="blah blah" />
<snap/>

Cool, I guess we'll have both now, attributesText and the rest.

> Note I've had to use className instead of class because you can't use
> "class" as a taglib property. Does anyone know any different on that?
> It would be neat to not have to use className!

<snip/>

Unfortunately, there may not be a way to do that. As a data point, the
Struts html taglib uses styleClass.

> It's quite a major addition, but won't have any regression effects.
>
> I'm also trying to work through the current bugs on the taglib as well
so
> that they are all resolved.

<snap/>

Great.

Oh, I'm sure you're aware of Jakarta Silk?

-Rahul

Re: Input taglib

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
"Karl von Randow" <ka...@xk72.com> wrote on 11/22/2005 06:46:25 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> I've reawakened after a long period of absense and I'm focussed now on
> getting out a 1.2 release.

<snip/>

Welcome back :-)