Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Utku Can Topçu <ut...@topcu.gen.tr> on 2010/12/04 22:31:54 UTC

Replacing nodes of the cluster in 0.7.0-RC1

 Hi All,

I'm currently not happy with the hardware and the operating system of our
4-node cassandra cluster. I'm planning to move the cluster to a different
hardware/OS architecture.

For this purpose I'm planning to bring up 4 new nodes, so that each node
will be a replacement of another node in the current cluster. I would also
like to note that the IP adresses will be also changing.

As far as I remember, cassandra had been causing problems when there was an
IP change back in version 0.6?

So what steps should I take to achieve this?

Will s straight forward approach like this work?,
* drain all nodes
* copy the data files to new hosts
* change configration, seeds, datadir, tokens etc...
* bring up the cluster

Regards,
Utku

Re: Replacing nodes of the cluster in 0.7.0-RC1

Posted by Utku Can Topçu <ut...@topcu.gen.tr>.
Since no reply came in afew days, I tried my proposed steps and it all
worked fine.

Just to let you know.

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> As far as I remember, cassandra had been causing problems when there was an
> IP change back in version 0.6?

I know you already proceeded, but FWIW I think the complication with
IP addresses are limited to changing the address of a node. It sounded
like you were going to add 4 nodes and them simply decommission the
rest. I don't think there's an issue with that having to do with IP
addresses (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

--
/ Peter Schuller