Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Grzegorz Swiatek <g....@teles.at> on 2011/02/01 10:08:21 UTC

Qpid 0.8 C++ and Failover

Hi,

does the C++ code support failover?
I tried my own client with following URL, but got an error:

Invalid URL:
amqp://guest:guest@localhost/development?brokerlist='10.220.11.33;10.220.11.35;10.220.11.36'&failover='roundrobin'
(qpid/Url.cpp:237)

My Java client works fine with this URL.

Regards,
Grzegorz

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid 0.8 C++ and Failover

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 02/01/2011 09:08 AM, Grzegorz Swiatek wrote:
> does the C++ code support failover?

Yes, but it uses a different URL scheme to the java client and also
requires that you explicitly enable reconnection by setting the
'reconnect' connection option to true.

> I tried my own client with following URL, but got an error:
>
> Invalid URL:
> amqp://guest:guest@localhost/development?brokerlist='10.220.11.33;10.220.11.35;10.220.11.36'&failover='roundrobin'
> (qpid/Url.cpp:237)
>
> My Java client works fine with this URL.

That url scheme is peculiar to the java client. The c++ client reconises
simple urls of the form hostname:port, or the url scheme defined in
section 9.1.2 of the  AMQP 0-10 specification (e.g.
amqp:tcp:host1:port1,tcp:host2:port2)

After enabling reconnect, you can set the list of brokers to connect to
either through the reconnect-urls connection option (takes a list of
urls) or by utilising the AMQP scheme's ability to specify multiple
hosts in a single url.

[You can also use an instance of qpid::messaging::FailoverUpdates to
listen for cluster membership changes via the mechanism defined in
section 11.1.2.3 of the 0-10 specification and keep the reconnect-urls
on a connection up to date.]

This - i.e. the variety of urls supported - is an area in which we need
need to move towards more consistency in my opinion however.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org