Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu> on 2016/10/13 13:50:50 UTC

recognizing valuable non-code contributions

Hello, community-builders!

I (ajs6f) am writing from Apache Jena. We've been tossing around a question that would certainly benefit from the wisdom and experience on this list. We have inside the community around Jena persons who have done really good work for the project in such ways as answering questions, providing helpful examples, suggesting useful improvements and documentation, and so forth, but who have not made code contributions. We'd very much like to recognize and reward these people for their excellent efforts, but the particular role of "committer" doesn't seem obviously appropriate to all of us. We were wondering how other projects have dealt with similar circumstances. We've come up with a couple of possibilities:

1) Just elect these folks as committers with the understanding that anyone responsible enough to be at the heart of the community will presumably not do anything rash with committer privileges, and anyway, version control is there for a reason.

2) Create some kind of new non-committer role within the project  (e.g. "Community Expert") for these folks that might provide some privileges (e.g. special rights/permissions in Jira or to the documentation base) without full committer rights to the code base.

3) Elect these people to membership in the PMC _without_ electing them committers. We're not totally sure whether this is actually possible within the Apache framework, so one question of fact we have is whether this is in fact a possibility.

Any thoughts, advice, experience very welcome!

---
A. Soroka ; Apache Jena

Re: recognizing valuable non-code contributions

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Many more than one, in fact one of the early members fits this category.

---
Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
Thanks, community thinkers!

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: recognizing valuable non-code contributions

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com>.
As a frequent non-code contributor to several projects, having people like
us as PMC (or PPMC) members seems to do the trick.

That being said, there can be ways we can contribute in a binary form, such
as adding to HTML, blogs, and updating calendars.

-Greg

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
My preferred approach is option 1. If you document the role of "committee" as "someone who is committed to the project" then this works well.

---