Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Dmitry Kudrenko <dm...@ardas.dp.ua> on 2007/10/26 12:27:59 UTC

Re[2]: Interest for a combination of JMeter with HtmlUnit / WebTest for AJAX load testing?

SC> Dmitry, Subrahmanya: I think the traditional boundaries between
SC> performance and functional testing will get more blurred with time.
SC> After all, it's isn't not very useful performance testing a complex
SC> application if it doesn't function properly and the testing application
SC> cannot detect the misbehavior.

Yes, I am partially with you, we can't ignore functional testing.
It is because I am using both JMeter and CanooWebTests for my
web applications. One for perfomance another for functional testing.

Every day browsers are implemented a lot of complex technologies and
tomorrow clients will be more complex than today. But clients
generally communicate with server using requests and responses. And
seems it will be so for a long time yet.

Client PC (where testing tool is lunching) should be much more
powerful than server PC, if we will join 2 very useful and powerful
approaches in one for testing performance. If it will be so,
performance testing should be clustered or dead.

Dmitry Kudrenko
ARDAS group http://ardas.dp.ua

Re: Interest for a combination of JMeter with HtmlUnit / WebTest for AJAX load testing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
There's probably an error in the console; it's tricky catching errors
detected in the gui event thread.

Until the exact cause of the problem is known, it's impossible to say
whether this would affect the creation of an HtmlUnit plugin. That is
something the plugin developer would need to resolve.

I'm not sure it makes sense to discuss this on the JMeter user list.

Posted by Marc Guillemot <mg...@yahoo.fr>.

Re: Re[2]: Interest for a combination of JMeter with HtmlUnit / WebTest for AJAX load testing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29/10/2007, Woody Aichner <wa...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I just looked the HtmlUnit and the dependent jars. This could create a
> problem:
>
> jaxen-1.1.1.jar                            not used by Jmeter
> commons-collections-3.2.jar       same as Jmeter
> commons-lang-2.3.jar                 same as Jmeter
> commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar       Jmeter uses commons-httpclient-3.1.jar

If HtmlUnit does not work with 3.1, then that is definitely a problem
- and not just for JMeter ;-)

> comons-codec-1.3.jar                 same as Jmeter
> js-1.6R5.jar                                 Jmeter us js_rhino1_6R5 (not
> sure this is the same thing or not)

Probably same.

> xercesImpl-2.6.2.jar                    Jmeter uses xercesImpl.jar

JMeter is using xalan 2.7.0. It used to use an earlier version; no
code changes were needed when updating so it's unlikely to be a
problem for HtmlUnit either.

> xmlParserAPIs-2.6.2.jar             not used by Jmeter

Seems to be part of xerces.

> nekohtml-0.9.5.jar                      not used by Jmeter
> commons-logging-1.1.jar            same as Jmeter
> commons-io-1.3.1.jar                 same as Jmeter

I don't think there is a problem here.

Posted by Marc Guillemot <mg...@yahoo.fr>.
sebb wrote:
> I think that adding extra processing to JMeter to deal with processing
> client-side Javascript is counter-productive in general.

I agree for the "in general".
Load testing is not producing a DoS on the server therefore I think that
what really matters is the ability to reach the charge that should be
tested.

> Although it would be convenient for some tests, it's a waste to keep
> reprocessing the Javascript in order to decide what URL to sample next
> - or to keep scanning the HTML to find out how to submit a particular
> form. Using the JMeter Proxy to record the session allows the work to
> be done by the browser when creating the test plan; it does not have
> to be repeated for every test.

It's not that simple. With even more logic on the client side, captured
request aren't necessary those that should occur each time.

Just imagine an application that asks the server for the number of
logged in visitors and depending on that can have different behavior.
When you record your test you will have a single user and this is what
you would simulate with a large number of users. This may be interesting
but this would have nothing to do with the real load that could happen
on the application.

An additional point is the maintainability.

Cheers,
Marc.