Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com> on 2008/05/27 08:31:49 UTC

Redundant thread in transport receivers?

Hi all,
    In both HTTP and TCP transport receivers, a separate thread is
created in "server_start" to handle requests. If the server is
multi-threaded,  the per-request threads are created in this second
thread. Why we need this intermediate thread?. Can someone please explain?.

Danushka

Re: Redundant thread in transport receivers?

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
> When server is multi threaded, main thread is listening for requests
> and it will accepts requests and create new thread for each request.
> After that processing related to that request happen in that
> particular thread. What do you mean by intermediate thread ?

Hi Dinesh,
    Yeah. Correct. I was misled by the call axis2_http_svr_thread_run
that is there in server_start. I thought it kicks off a new thread.

Thanks

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Dinesh Premalal wrote:
> Hi Danushka,
>
> Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com> writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>>    In both HTTP and TCP transport receivers, a separate thread is
>> created in "server_start" to handle requests. If the server is
>> multi-threaded,  the per-request threads are created in this second
>> thread. Why we need this intermediate thread?. Can someone please
>> explain?.
>>

> When server is multi threaded, main thread is listening for requests
> and it will accepts requests and create new thread for each request.
> After that processing related to that request happen in that
> particular thread. What do you mean by intermediate thread ?

Danushka,
    May be you could point to the code that you are referring to.

Samisa...

Re: Redundant thread in transport receivers?

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Danushka,

Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>    In both HTTP and TCP transport receivers, a separate thread is
> created in "server_start" to handle requests. If the server is
> multi-threaded,  the per-request threads are created in this second
> thread. Why we need this intermediate thread?. Can someone please
> explain?.

When server is multi threaded, main thread is listening for requests
and it will accepts requests and create new thread for each request.
After that processing related to that request happen in that
particular thread. What do you mean by intermediate thread ?

thanks,
Dinesh
--
http://nethu.org