Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jaret Hargreaves <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/08 18:49:30 UTC

Using svn to image OS X environment

Our development environment is a very complex Apple OS X (essentially
FreeBSD++) platform, with an intricate network of system dependancies.
Upon suggestions from "Pragmatic Version Control", our group has began
moving *all* of frameworks, libraries, etc. into our repository.

The question has arose whether we could practically/plausibly/easily
image our entire OS environment using svn (svnX). Is svn capable of
dealing with hidden files, links and all of the other problems that it
might encounter creating an image?

Thanks for you time and attention.

Re: Using svn to image OS X environment

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/05, Jaret Hargreaves <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our development environment is a very complex Apple OS X (essentially
> FreeBSD++) platform, with an intricate network of system dependancies.
> Upon suggestions from "Pragmatic Version Control", our group has began
> moving *all* of frameworks, libraries, etc. into our repository.
>
> The question has arose whether we could practically/plausibly/easily
> image our entire OS environment using svn (svnX). Is svn capable of
> dealing with hidden files, links and all of the other problems that it
> might encounter creating an image?

Subversion doesn't care about hidden files, as long as it can
see them it's fine. It can also handle symlinks on *nix, I'm not
positive on OS X, but probably yes.

All problems? That's kind of a big one. People are controlling their
etc directories with subversion, so I guess full images are just one
step further.

Josh