Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi> on 2004/07/01 14:22:45 UTC

Re: How does subversion handle encodings?

On Monday 28 June 2004 20:00, Michael W Thelen wrote:
> * Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi> [2004-06-28 04:12]:
> > One thing is still not clear: Can subversion have a "type" metadata
> > associated with each file? (Not storing that crucial piece of info
> > would be really, really stupid since that would render most text files
> > useless as text files. That is, unless you send that piece of info in
> > some other way to everyone using those text files.)
>
> Yep, check out the svn:mime-type property:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.2

Great! I suppose the attribute fully conforms to the "Content-Type"
specification as per RFC 2045 and 2046, including the handling of
"encoding" attribute of text types (i.e. if not present then it is assumed
to be "us-ascii" (=7-bit ASCII)).

Does the various (visual) diff, merge et al. utilities take the encoding
into consideration when translating the bytes to characters?

- Marcus Sundman

Re: How does subversion handle encodings?

Posted by Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi>.
> the "Content-Type" specification as per RFC 2045 and 2046, including the
> handling of "encoding" attribute of text types

Typo: "encoding"=>"charset" (MIME thinks character encoding is called
"charset" although it is more than just a character repertoire).

- Marcus Sundman