Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net> on 2007/05/31 15:05:30 UTC

tomcat 6, clustering, FarmDeployer

Folks;

being knee-deep into building a test system to see whether our
clustered applications also will work in a tc 6.0 clustered environment
(currently they run atop 5.5), and the cluster configuration (having an
apache2+mod-jk in front) seems to work well having an application that
already runs within the tomcat setup.

However, the FarmDeployer doesn't seem to work here. Deploying a war
file to /opt/appsrv/tomcat/tmp/war-listen/ provides me with the
following messages in catalina.out ...

- ... on the machine the war file was deployed to:

31.05.2007 14:56:58 org.apache.catalina.ha.deploy.WarWatcher check
INFO: check cluster wars at /opt/appsrv/tomcat/tmp/war-listen
31.05.2007 14:56:59 org.apache.catalina.ha.deploy.FarmWarDeployer
fileModified INFO: Installing webapp[/pcdvisual]
from /opt/appsrv/tomcat/tmp/war-deploy/pcdvisual.war 31.05.2007
14:56:59 org.apache.catalina.ha.deploy.FarmWarDeployer remove INFO:
Cluster wide remove of web app /pcdvisual 31.05.2007 14:56:59
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.ThroughputInterceptor
Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
I've used ant to write a deploy task which is parameterized.  Then I can
wrap an iteration task around it and undeploy + deploy on all n Tomcats.

It does depend on

http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/foreach.html

    <!-- =================================================================
-->
    <!-- TOMCAT / Deploy / Undeploy    TARGETS
-->
    <!-- =================================================================
-->

    <!-- Deploy the htmout files to all defined application servers.  Will
-->
    <!-- restart the context after deployment is complete.
-->
    <target
        name="deploy"
        depends="deploy-war-all"
        description="Deploy war to all defined application servers (causes
restart)"/>

    <!-- Don't deploy if no tomcat.instances defined -->
    <condition property="tomcat-deploy-defined">
        <and>
            <isset property="tomcat.instances"/>
        </and>
    </condition>

    <!-- Deploy to each defined context by iterating tomcat.instances and
-->
    <!-- farming the real work out to deploy-war-one.
-->
    <target name="deploy-war-all"
        if="tomcat-deploy-defined"
        description="Restart the context on the tomcat instance(s)">
        <!-- NB: Parallel redeploy is very slow on Tomcat due to the
-->
        <!-- of the cluster deployer.  So, don't use it.
-->
        <foreach
            parallel="false"
            list="${tomcat.instances}"
            delimiter=" "
            param="instance"
            target="deploy-war-one"/>
    </target>

    <!-- Reload the requested context
-->
    <target
        name="deploy-war-one"
        description="Restart a single context">

        <propertycopy name="tomcat.username"
from="tomcat.${instance}.username" silent="true"/>
        <propertycopy name="tomcat.password"
from="tomcat.${instance}.password" silent="true"/>
        <propertycopy name="tomcat.server"
from="tomcat.${instance}.server"   silent="true"/>
        <propertycopy name="tomcat.port"     from="tomcat.${instance}.port"
silent="true"/>
        <property name="tomcatURL"
value="http://${tomcat.server}:${tomcat.port}${tomcat.manager}"/>

        <fail unless="tomcat.username">Undefined: tomcat.username</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.password">Undefined: tomcat.password</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.manager" >Undefined: tomcat.manager</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.server"  >Undefined: tomcat.server</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.port"    >Undefined: tomcat.port</fail>

        <antcall target="deploy-context" inheritall="true"/>
    </target>

    <!-- reload the specified context
-->
    <target
        name="deploy-context"
        description="Reload the given context">
        <fail unless="tomcat.username">Undefined: tomcat.username</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.password">Undefined: tomcat.password</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcatURL">Undefined: tomcatURL</fail>
        <echo taskname="deploy-context">
Deploying ${basedir}/${project.war} to ${tomcatURL}
        </echo>
        <undeploy
            failonerror="false"
            taskname="deploy-context"
            username="${tomcat.username}"
            password="${tomcat.password}"
            url     ="${tomcatURL}"
            path    ="/"/>
        <deploy
            taskname="deploy-context"
            username="${tomcat.username}"
            password="${tomcat.password}"
            url     ="${tomcatURL}"
            path    ="/"
            war     ="file:${basedir}/${project.war}"/>
    </target>

Tim

Posted by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net>.
Filip;

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
hi Kristian, Farm deployer is currently broken, has been for a while and
needs to be completely revised.

Filip