Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> on 2022/12/15 00:27:56 UTC

[VOTE] The retirement of Apache jUDDI (moving to the Apache Attic)

After some discussion over the past month or so, there seems to be enough
of a consensus to hold a vote on retiring Apache jUDDI. I've pretty much
been the only maintainer for a while now and unfortunately have a number of
outstanding issues that I can't solve without assistance from the community.

Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the committers and other community
members have moved on to other projects. Usage of the UDDI specification
and Apache jUDDI has never really been that high in general. Recently over
the fast few years, JIRA issue reporting, mailing list traffic and all
known out of band traffic have been near zero. Download statistics are
pretty minimal as well and if anyone is using our libraries, there's little
recent evidence to support that via mvnreponsitory.com's cross reference
capabilities.

The process for moving a project to the Attic is outlined here:
https://attic.apache.org/process.html

On Nov 11th, an email was dispatched to both the user and dev lists about
this with no replies. It's time for the formal vote.

+1 from me

Re: [VOTE] The retirement of Apache jUDDI (moving to the Apache Attic)

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.
I emailed the board regarding minimum voting thresholds for project
closure. Former director Sheng Wu gave the following input
> I think 3 +1binding and no -1 binding are enough.

No other responses were received from the board. At this point with our
current +3 votes plus previous unanimous email correspondence on
retirement, I'm comfortable calling this vote a "pass".

I'll notify the board and continue the process. Cheers

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.
No other votes? We had a full house on the last email thread.

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (resend)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 2:42 AM Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me
>
> —Kurt
>
> On Dec 22, 2022, at 01:00, Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Resending...2 votes is not enough to pass, otherwise the board may have to
> take action directly
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 12:52 PM Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 from me as well.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 7:28 PM Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> After some discussion over the past month or so, there seems to be
>>> enough of a consensus to hold a vote on retiring Apache jUDDI. I've pretty
>>> much been the only maintainer for a while now and unfortunately have a
>>> number of outstanding issues that I can't solve without assistance from the
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the committers and other community
>>> members have moved on to other projects. Usage of the UDDI specification
>>> and Apache jUDDI has never really been that high in general. Recently over
>>> the fast few years, JIRA issue reporting, mailing list traffic and all
>>> known out of band traffic have been near zero. Download statistics are
>>> pretty minimal as well and if anyone is using our libraries, there's little
>>> recent evidence to support that via mvnreponsitory.com's cross
>>> reference capabilities.
>>>
>>> The process for moving a project to the Attic is outlined here:
>>> https://attic.apache.org/process.html
>>>
>>> On Nov 11th, an email was dispatched to both the user and dev lists
>>> about this with no replies. It's time for the formal vote.
>>>
>>> +1 from me
>>>

>>> --
>> Steve Viens
>> sviens@gmail.com
>> 603-828-2397
>>
> --
Steve Viens
sviens@gmail.com
603-828-2397

Re: [VOTE] The retirement of Apache jUDDI (moving to the Apache Attic)

Posted by Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

support that via [mvnreponsitory.com](http://mvnreponsitory.com)'s cross

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.