Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Tom Luo <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/15 01:15:00 UTC

AWS lightsail

Hi, all,

If I use AWS lightsail, after I install openmeeings, do I need to follow
this instruction?

Installation SSL certificates and Coturn for OpenMeetings 5.0.0-M4 on
Ubuntu 18.04.pdf
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27838216/Installation%20SSL%20certificates%20and%20Coturn%20for%20OpenMeetings%205.0.0-M4%20on%20Ubuntu%2018.04.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1587558435000&api=v2>

It seems that this instruction is for a server behind a NAT. I think AWS
lightsail is not behind a NAT, right?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: AWS lightsail

Posted by Denis Noctor <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi there guys. I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents in on this. I am using an AWS EC2 instance. From my understand all instances are behind NAT which as a result requires a Turnserver. In one of my previous emails I described the approach I took (check the OM user forum). I am using my phone to write this email... so as you can imagine searching, copying and pasting a link to the actual message would be a little cumbersome... but the subject of the email is “Suggested AWS EC2 setup - OM 5.0.0 M3 / Ubuntu 18.04”. For the moment the instance I am running is as follows:

LAMP image (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP setup). My AWS Setup is as follows:
Instance type: t3a.large (8 gigs Ram , 2 vCPUS), I was previously using a t3a.medium (4 gigs Ram , 2 vCPUS)… which seemed to run okay… but needed to elimate any doubts I had by cranking up the RAM. Some of you may decide to go for lower or higher instances depending on your budget and desired performance levels etc.

For reference this instance is costing me about $50 dollars. But would be a lot cheaper if I didn’t use AWS’s Route 52 (domain to designated IP address).

I had run everything on a free tier a couple of years back but document conversion was slow and often crashed.

I have been and a couple of my guys have been running simultaneous classes over the last few weeks and generally speaking everything has been fine. A few browser issues as mentioned in a previous email... but it is important to state I am using OM M3, which I will update and configure at the weekend. Some classes we 1hr 30 mins, some 5 hours on a Saturday. Average meeting 5 - 8 people.

My short to long term plan would be to set up a “clustering” model which was discussed in the forum a few weeks back, maybe longer... having the database in one AWS “bucket” and several other instances.

I would be happy to help out in any way regarding load testing. I’ll be honest I’d be hard fetched to ask my students to participate... but I have about 5 computers at home since I’ve been in quarantine and happy to participate where as Maxim stated... 4 can participate on a “silent” basis. Given the amount of people in the group... I’d say a “call for action” email to all the users will be received well and more people might be able to help with a load test as Sebastian mentioned.

Either way, I’m here to help in any way.

I’ve been out of the loop for the last few weeks but, again, if there is any way I can continue to help in any way I will.

All the best, Denis.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: AWS lightsail

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tom,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: AWS lightsail

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
2GB memory is on the very minimum side of spec.
Even if you just load a big document to the server to convert it and create
a bunch of slides to show on the whiteboard it will exceed limits quickly.
Same with multiple people streaming.

So you won't see this problem yet, but you will soon.

Coturn is a feature required to resolve networking issues. The question is
not related to hardware or not. Its a tool to improve network, and yes,
probably you will need it in order to help certain users to resolve IP and
network addresses. But it depends a bit on if your users are behind
router/firewalls or inside an controlled intranet.

It helps not only on the server side but also on the client side.

Cheers
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions