Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "M.Liang Liu " <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/14 02:43:01 UTC

Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

I add the portlet :DB Browser(namely Database Browser Example Portlet) to my
test page only to find it does NOT work!
And I checked the

> Database Browser Preferences Data Source Type  JNDI Data Source
>  DBCP Data Source
>  SSO Credential Store
>
> Please Select a Data Source Type
>  JNDI Settings JNDI Data Source   JDBC/DBCP Settings JDBC Driver   JDBC
> Connection   JDBC Username   JDBC Password   J2 SSO Settings JDBC Driver   JDBC
> Connection   SSO Site   General Settings Window Size   SQL

Can anybody help me?Thank you.

--
千杯欲醉:我的Blog @
    Drink       Drank         Drunk

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
M.Liang Liu wrote:

> And any suggestion for me how to operate the database?Namelly,what should I
> do if I would like to creat a new table of my own application and make it
> display just as the demo?

Database access is usually implemented with:

* use a Object Relational tool such as Hibernate or OJB or iBatis or JDO
* plain old JDBC
* object databases

To get your own DatabaseBrowser running, a common method is to setup a
datasource in Tomcat, and then simply point your DatabaseBrowser portlet
at it. This takes the least amount of coding anyway

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by "M.Liang Liu " <pa...@gmail.com>.
Wow ,you are great ,David!
I've got it!

It must be a bug  causing this problem that many guys did  encounter.
And when I changed the  JDBC Connection after I reinstalled under the folder
c:\j2,and clicked the save button,I find IT WORKS! A table displays in the
portal Database Browser.
Enclosed(to your inbox only) is the PrintScreen-picture for you to have a
look at  my time-consuming job under your help.

Thank you for your work.I think nobody would remedy this bug unless you.

And any suggestion for me how to operate the database?Namelly,what should I
do if I would like to creat a new table of my own application and make it
display just as the demo?

Thanks.

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Stefan Weinert wrote:
> I had the same error (or to be honest it was one of
> the many errors I came accross) and through the many
> reinstallations I too chose the j2 directory to ease
> navigation which solved this problem without me
> knowing what fixed it.

Well that particular bug needed to be at least in the release notes
We missed it

> There are lots of portlets not being initialized
> porperly with the demo portal though.

That usually occurs because you hit the portal site too soon
The very first initialization is very slow depending on your machine

> Is there a common practise in 'debugging' these errors
> in J2. As a noob I'd rather be pointed to a checklist
> than asking for each error.
> I understand JSR168 being a powerfull standard which
> not only allows standard definition of portlets but
> should allow standard debugging.

I use Eclipse to remote debug

> So what are the common steps you (aka the pros) go
> through when coming accross a "Failed to retrieve
> Portlet Definition for XYZ" message?

Check the jetspeed.log file, see what went wrong
Also check the catalina.out

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by Stefan Weinert <su...@yahoo.de>.
--- David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> schrieb:

> Now that jogs my memory
> We have a bug here
> You are making my 'job' too easy for me :)
> Look at the portlet preferences:
>
>        <preference>
>          <name>JdbcConnection</name>
>          <value>jdbc:derby:/tmp/productiondb</value>
>        </preference>
>
> We need to changed that to point to the directory
> where you installed
> Jetspeed-2 into. Unfortunately the dialog box doesnt
> allow a string long
> enough to hold it!
>
> It should be:
>
> C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed
> 2.0\webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\productiondb
>
> Recommend reinstalling to someplace with a short
> name like
>
> c:\j2
>
> And then once you install, edit the preferences
> dialog to point to
>
> /j2/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/productiondb
>
> Let me know if it works
> and sorry about the untested demo feature

I had the same error (or to be honest it was one of
the many errors I came accross) and through the many
reinstallations I too chose the j2 directory to ease
navigation which solved this problem without me
knowing what fixed it.

There are lots of portlets not being initialized
porperly with the demo portal though.

Is there a common practise in 'debugging' these errors
in J2. As a noob I'd rather be pointed to a checklist
than asking for each error.
I understand JSR168 being a powerfull standard which
not only allows standard definition of portlets but
should allow standard debugging.

So what are the common steps you (aka the pros) go
through when coming accross a "Failed to retrieve
Portlet Definition for XYZ" message?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by "M.Liang Liu " <pa...@gmail.com>.

On 3/14/06, David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:

    M.Liang Liu wrote:
    > Sorry I did not point out that I am playing with WIN XP ,Jetspeed 2.0.
    > And the database is derby,which is the default setting(I downloaded
the
    > jetspeed called Jetspeed2.0-derby-install.jar ).And I installed the
jar file
    > at:C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0
    > Need I creat a database for test and where to operate?
    > Thanks for reading.

    I tried the same installation (Windows XP, 2.0, Derby), into "c:\program
    files\apache jetspeed 2.0", and when i click on the Database Browser
    portlet example, it correctly displays the database rows.

    Best to send us your jetspeed.log files next
    You can find it here:

    C:\Program Files\Apache Jetspeed 2.0\webapps\jetspeed\logs

Re: Help:When I tried to test the derby database,An Exception was thrown.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by "M.Liang Liu " <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Divid,I got one of your book:Portlets and Apache Portals when I tried to
find the solutions to my problems,and I will refer to it this noon.
And any suggestion to help me to make my database run properly?
Any Help will be fully appreciated.

Posted by "M.Liang Liu " <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
M.Liang Liu wrote:
> I add the portlet :DB Browser(namely Database Browser Example Portlet) to my
> test page only to find it does NOT work!
> And I checked the

Which database ?
Which version of Jetspeed ?