Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> on 2010/02/03 14:21:48 UTC

Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Please see Justin's proposal below for the Incubator.  (From a
general, public list.)

I think it'd be great for Tomcat to do the same.  Your thoughts / votes?

Yoav

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> Please see Justin's proposal below for the Incubator.  (From a
> general, public list.)
>
> I think it'd be great for Tomcat to do the same.  Your thoughts / votes?

+1

The current system is not easy for a quick publication.

Re: Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 04/02/2010 10:52, Gav... wrote:

> [...]

The docs only reflect the latest release, not trunk so they only need to
be updated at release time. An hours delay here is fine. Currently we
just copy these the same place the site docs are checked out to on
people as part of the release process.

Mark

RE: Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 2/4/2010 3:44 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2010/2/3 William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>> That said, there are now two platforms, your original svn.apache.org space
>> and now dist.apache.org/repos/dist/, which is for publishing artifacts.  It
>> might make sense to mirror the published/released doc flavors through this
>> new much more expandable repository.
>>

> I do not see /repos/dist/
> svn.apache.org, dist.apache.org give 404 for that address.

Sorry; that is https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/ - it is committer-space only
at the present time.  AIUI it is your shell login p/w (from ldap), which wasn't
necessarily your svn password to svn.a.o.

At some point, it becomes mirrorable (at least /repos/dist/release/) if it turns
out to be widely adopted; perhaps even through http: but that might not make so
much sense with MITM vectors.

Re: Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/2/3 William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
> That said, there are now two platforms, your original svn.apache.org space
> and now dist.apache.org/repos/dist/, which is for publishing artifacts.  It
> might make sense to mirror the published/released doc flavors through this
> new much more expandable repository.

I do not see /repos/dist/
svn.apache.org, dist.apache.org give 404 for that address.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 2/3/2010 10:45 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/02/2010 13:21, Yoav Shapira wrote:
>> Please see Justin's proposal below for the Incubator.  (From a
>> general, public list.)
>>
>> I think it'd be great for Tomcat to do the same.  Your thoughts / votes?
>
> Generally +1. Need to think about how we handle the docs (including
> javadocs). Is there a better way than just checking the whole lot into
> the repo?

Not really, this is how httpd and apr are doing it.

That said, there are now two platforms, your original svn.apache.org space
and now dist.apache.org/repos/dist/, which is for publishing artifacts.  It
might make sense to mirror the published/released doc flavors through this
new much more expandable repository.

tomcat.a.o/dist/dev/ and www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/ would normally be
provisioned from /repos/dist/ while the rest of the site is usually from
the svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/ space.  If you want certain docs/
trees to be populated from /repos/dist/, that could easily be arranged.

Trunk [mutable] docs are best served from the classic svn space.

Re: Fwd: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.