Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by "Popova, Marina" <ma...@t-t.com> on 2002/12/06 19:03:20 UTC

non-printing character representation in Xalan 2.4.1 ?

Hi,
I upgraded from Xalan2.1.0 to 2.4.1 and noticed one difference when
processing the same XML files through the same XSLT styles:
after transforming xml through 2.1.0 the resulting xml file has non-printing
characters represented as, for example, '\222'
processing the same file through 2.4.1 results in the characters represented
as &#146;

Is there any way to instruct Xalan2.4.1 to preserve the old character
representation?

Thanks,
Marina

Re: non-printing character representation in Xalan 2.4.1 ?

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
See recent discussion of encodings. If the character you're generating is
directly supported by the encoding you specified in xsl:output, it should
be written out correctly. If it isn't, we *must* represent it as a numeric
character reference, or we'd be generating broken XML.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research