Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Rose Nguyen <rt...@google.com> on 2020/03/26 22:30:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] [PROPOSAL] Redesigning the structure for Beam docs

Hi there,

As part of the documentation revamping process [1] and ongoing website
migration [2] [3], Aizhamal, David, and I would like to propose this website
redesign
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1btXMkQGqYaU9pUjYh0iCNrbXf4pAHe3tBFsLQ_cLYHg/edit?usp=sharing>
[4]. It lists the rationale and proposed layout that we believe, after
collecting feedback and brainstorming with various Beam users/community
members, will improve the usability of Beam.

We'd like to share this design plan as we begin to finalize it. If you have
feedback or comments, we'd like to hear from you!

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HlRHfmc9MvKkFEf2gfIL3RYVxTmBXQL4sXjAGGOjeiI/edit#heading=h.5rqdbnson7px
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfab4cc1411318c3f4667bee051df68f37be11846ada877f3576c41a9%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7fa6d710c0a1959cce5108e460d71c306ce5756cf96af818b41cb7ca%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[4]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1btXMkQGqYaU9pUjYh0iCNrbXf4pAHe3tBFsLQ_cLYHg/edit?usp=sharing

Stay well,
--
Rose Thị Nguyễn

Re: [DISCUSS] [PROPOSAL] Redesigning the structure for Beam docs

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.
This looks overall great! one note: it appears to be missing recent
additions to the documentation (a large section on programming with state &
timers). I'm also soon going to merge.a bunch of changes to document using
Beam with schemas. We need to make sure not to lose this new documentation
when we switch over.

Reuven

Posted by Cyrus Maden <cm...@google.com>.
This is way cool! Big fan of the new table of content, too. I also like the
future content experience plans. Having a documented path for new
contributors (core SDK, website, all of it) will be great.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.