Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2012/03/14 09:25:31 UTC

Re: [] Release jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating (RC-1)

On 14/03/12 07:11, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> The module is tagged with the version and "RC-1" to indicate the release
>> candidate in this release cycle.  If voted on successfully, the tag will
>> be changed ("svn mv") to the same name but minus the RC designation.
>
> Not an issue, but I've noticed that doing it this way the pom.xml<scm>
> element has -RC-1 in it. I normally do not use -RC-1 when I use the
> maven-release-plugin and the tag is exactly what's there in<scm>.
>
> (Indeed, I am not even sure on what's the reason we do it this way. Another
> option is not to use "RC-1", if a vote is not successful the tag can be
> deleted. Tagging with "RC-1" allows to have two or more release candidates
> at the same time, for the same project. Is this the reason?)

Pros and cons.  It depends if you want to keep more than one RC about
for comparison.  I think I copied another project's process when we
started releases.

When we re-org svn the tags will be invalid anyway.

	Andy

Re: [] Release jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating (RC-1)

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 14/03/12 07:11, Paolo Castagna wrote:
>> Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> The module is tagged with the version and "RC-1" to indicate the release
>>> candidate in this release cycle.  If voted on successfully, the tag will
>>> be changed ("svn mv") to the same name but minus the RC designation.
>>
>> Not an issue, but I've noticed that doing it this way the pom.xml<scm>
>> element has -RC-1 in it. I normally do not use -RC-1 when I use the
>> maven-release-plugin and the tag is exactly what's there in<scm>.
>>
>> (Indeed, I am not even sure on what's the reason we do it this way.
>> Another
>> option is not to use "RC-1", if a vote is not successful the tag can be
>> deleted. Tagging with "RC-1" allows to have two or more release
>> candidates
>> at the same time, for the same project. Is this the reason?)
>
> Pros and cons.  It depends if you want to keep more than one RC about
> for comparison.  I think I copied another project's process when we
> started releases.
>
> When we re-org svn the tags will be invalid anyway.

Ack.

Paolo