Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/05 14:48:27 UTC

Search operation baseline

Hi guys,

after having checked the Lookup operation, I have done some measurement
on the search operation. There is a lot of room for improvement.

As a baseline, I did a test involving a direct search of an entry,
knowing its DN, wise an OBJECT scope, an (ObjectClass=*) filter,
fetching all its user attributes (*). The base was empty (well, almost).

- when sending the search through the core-api, I got 8269 searches per
second
- when sending the search through the client-api (ie, network involved),
it's down to 2858 searches per second.

I know those numbers are awful, but anyway, it's just a baseline, not
realistic, as we don't have any entry in the base. The idea is to be
able to see the direct impact on any optimization done on the search
request, as we did on the lookup operation.

I see no reason not to be able to get at least a 2 to 3 times faster
search operation considering the kind of search we are doing.

Let's do it !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Search operation baseline

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
> Yeah I think there is a lot of room for improvement as you say especially
> for these special cases. I was wondering is this on your laptop or on the
> big 8 way server?

On my laptop.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.

--