Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Robson Ribas <ri...@godigital.com.br> on 2001/03/05 21:48:40 UTC

Mod_java status

What happened to mod_java ? There is no link to it on java.apache.org neither on jakarta.apache.org. Was this project closed or discontinued or something ?

Re: Mod_java status

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Robson Ribas wrote:

> It is possible to write Apache modules with mod_jk (the original goal of
> mod_java) ? Besides the main use of mod_jk is interacting with Tomcat, the
> Ajpv13 protocol could be used to communicate with other programs, right ? If
> so, some description/documentation of the protocol would be fine.

Most people are using mod_jk as the adapter between tomcat and Apache,
using Ajpv13 protocol - same as mod_jserv was used.

But there is much more in mod_jk:
- support for pluggable protocols - ajp13 is just one of the many
communication protocols that can be implemented on top of mod_jk

- support for multiple web server - apache1.3, apache2.0, IIS, NES,
aolserver. Most of the code is common - i.e. one protocol will
automatically work on all of the servers.

- support for JNI - and that's the hard thing. You can run the Java VM in
the same process ( with Apache2.0 or any multi-threaded server ), and use
JNI as a communication protocol. That is 1/2 of mod_java.

The other half of mod_java is the ability to implement various server
hooks in java. This is not yet completed - but must of the code is there.

Tomcat is using the same extension mechanism as apache ( and very similar
with all other web servers ) - a number of hooks implemented by modules.

A tomcat interceptor acts and serve the same function as a native module -
what's missing is the ability to call hooks implemented by tomcat modules
from apache and to call apache hooks from tomcat.

For tomcat it is more important to use server modules ( authentication,
mapping ), but calling tomcat authentication modules to authenticate
static requests from apache is also important.

In other words - mod_jk + tomcat are a superset of mod_java ( the main
functionality and goal is certainly different, but the implementation is
based around the same ideas ).

Costin

Re: Mod_java status

> > What happened to mod_java ? There is no link to it on java.apache.org
> > neither on jakarta.apache.org. Was this project closed or discontinued
> > or something ?
> >

> Most of it is implemented in mod_jk, part of tomcat 3.2 and 3.3.

Re: Mod_java status

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Robson Ribas wrote:

> What happened to mod_java ? There is no link to it on java.apache.org
> neither on jakarta.apache.org. Was this project closed or discontinued
> or something ?

Most of it is implemented in mod_jk, part of tomcat 3.2 and 3.3.

That means mod_jk can start a VM inside Apache (2.0) or IIS, NES, can use
JNI to invoke requests, etc ( on the C side ).

It is not completed - what's missing is the final integration, allowing
3.x modules to be called instead/in addition to native modules. The
architecture of 3.x interceptos is intended to make this easy - but most
of my time was spent on refactoring and xml, and "integrating" the tomcat
modules as apache/iis/nes modules/filters/saf was postponed.

( of course, executing the requests using JNI should work fine, but you
can't use JdbcAuthInterceptor to authenticate pages served by Apache - not
yet at least )

Costin

Re: Mod_java status

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/5/01 12:48 PM, "Robson Ribas" <ri...@godigital.com.br> wrote:

> What happened to mod_java ? There is no link to it on java.apache.org neither
> on jakarta.apache.org. Was this project closed or discontinued or something ?

Yup. It's dead.

The cvs tree is available from the CVS index page on the Jakarta site. If
there is enough interest in it, then discussion can probably just happen on
the tomcat-dev list for now. If enough people want to pick it up, then a
mailing list can be created.

thanks,

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous