Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Ling Kun <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/20 07:24:08 UTC

Is there any step-by-step Tutorial of Hive for freshman?

Hi,all:
   I am a freshman to hive, and want to firstly set up a hive cluster, and
trying to evalute it based on mapreduce.

  However, after dive into  the hive documents, A little meterial can be
found about how to test hive step-by-step, especially how to use hive based
on the MapReduce framework.  I have also setup a Apache Pig environment,
which have a pig-tutorial.tar.gz that contains several script and input
files. Using these files, I can easily found out how to run Pig script
locally and using the Hadoop MapReduce framework. The Hive tutorial only
contain some technical details about implementation, but little about how
to use Hive in a step-by-step way.

   I am writing for the following question, and any reply is welcome.
Thanks.
  1. Is there any documents, blog post, or web pages which can help me test
hive step-by-step, so that I can quickly have a first impression about how
hive to take advantage of the Hadoop Mapreduce framework?
  2. Is there any hint for how to contribute such a step-by step pages, so
that anyone interesting for Hive can quickly get started. Ideally, this
step-by-step post should have both command line, sql file and input-output
data, so that anyone can download and have a try.

Thanks

Ling Kun
--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: Is there any step-by-step Tutorial of Hive for freshman?

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.
http://www.hackido.com/2010/05/install-hadoop-and-hive-on-ubuntu-lucid.html

∞
Shashwat Shriparv