Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2020/04/19 17:05:13 UTC

Can we say good-bye to nb-javac

Just loaded up Beta 3 and of course it desperately want to load nb-javac 2 (possibly 2.1). Loaded up a project that used Java 14 record and it declared it an error with no hope for redemption. Deleted all the nb-javac files from the C:\devapp\NB\USERDIR\12.0-beta3\modules folder (I prefer my USERDIR and CACHE where I can find them easily) and then NB was happy with Java 14's compiler and with records after asking me if I wanted to use preview features..

Could someone point me to where I could learn what the advantage of nb-javac is over javac?

Ken

Re: Can we say good-bye to nb-javac

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Here is the issue with the related PR referenced within it, you are welcome
to add your comments and insights on the important of this in the PR:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4078

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 at 21:47, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> Again, this will be fixed in Beta 4.

The notification won't as yet?!  But more to the point, what happened
to the promised nb-javac with JDK 14 support?  We've had a thread
already on saying goodbye to nb-javac in 12.1, but are we in danger of
going a bit too far at this late stage of 12.0 release?

Fixing anything that forces nb-javac to be installed, including on JDK
8, should be done.  But JDK 11 experience is still sub-optimal without
nb-javac.

Also, AFAIK we are still going to have difficulties shipping updates
to either nb-javac or JavaFX in the release.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Can we say good-bye to nb-javac

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Again, this will be fixed in Beta 4.

What you are doing in userdir is the equivalent to going to the Plugin
Manager and uninstalling nb-javac.

This behavior is identical to previous releases and will be fixed in Beta 4.

Gj

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.