Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> on 2019/11/21 11:10:07 UTC

goVet and clickHouse tests failing

I'm slowly working my way through getting the tests to run and pass.
We have a lot of work to do on the contributing docs to explain how to
setup and run the build. There's clearly a lot of knowledge in
developers' heads and workstations that hasn't yet made it into the
docs.

The latest is a problem finding "github.com/linkedin/goavro" when I
run goVet. I'm not a go person. Is this something that requires an
extra install? If so, how is it installed? Or is this some error in
the build.gradles? Or perhaps my go config is borked and gradle is
looking in the wrong directory?

> Task :sdks:go:examples:resolveBuildDependencies
Resolving ./github.com/apache/beam/sdks/go@/home/elharo/beam/sdks/go
.gogradle/project_gopath/src/github.com/apache/beam/sdks/go/examples/vendor/github.com/apache/beam/sdks/go/pkg/beam/io/avroio/avroio.go:28:2:
cannot find package "github.com/linkedin/goavro" in any of:
        /home/elharo/beam/sdks/go/examples/.gogradle/project_gopath/src/github.com/apache/beam/sdks/go/examples/vendor/github.com/linkedin/goavro
(vendor tree)
        /home/elharo/.gradle/go/binary/1.12/go/src/github.com/linkedin/goavro
(from $GOROOT)
        /home/elharo/beam/sdks/go/examples/.gogradle/project_gopath/src/github.com/linkedin/goavro
(from $GOPATH)

> Task :sdks:go:examples:goVet FAILED

I'm also seeing failures in ClickHouseIOTest:

> Task :sdks:java:io:clickhouse:test

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.clickhouse.ClickHouseIOTest > classMethod FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalStateException

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.clickhouse.ClickHouseIOTest > classMethod FAILED
    java.lang.NullPointerException

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.clickhouse.AtomicInsertTest > classMethod FAILED

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: goVet and clickHouse tests failing

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
It would be nice if this failed gracefully, indicating what dependency is
not installed.

Kenn

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Gleb Kanterov <gl...@spotify.com>.

Posted by Robert Burke <ro...@frantil.com>.
Hello!
A goal (that is up for anyone interested to work on) is to move the Beam Go
SDK to use Go Modules[2] rather than the GoGradle[3] plugin's lock file,
since this unifies the experience for both working on the Go SDK (as a Beam
dev) and with the Go SDK (as a Beam user). The plugin hasn't been updated
to deal with Go Modules, but it's possible to disable the locking and
.implicit vendoring in favour of the standard Go Module cache.
The gogradle lock file would need to be updated so that Gradle gets the
avro package into it's cache (if it's not listed already).

The SDK itself is compatible with Go 1.13 but that's outside of any
dependency module concerns.

Resolving this would let the SDK adopt new depencies more easily, and
better integrate with general Go tooling, rather than just with the
demi-integration we have with Gradle.

Robert B

[1] https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Modules
[2] https://gogradle.github.io/gogradle/docs/getting-started.html

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 08:18, Amogh Tiwari <am...@google.com> wrote:

> Adding +Sameer Abhyankar <sa...@google.com> for visibility.
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM Amogh Tiwari <am...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Elliotte,
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> Tried out the steps that you suggested, still not able to resolve this
>> issue.
>> Should I use a particular version of go for the build?
>> What I have noticed is that when I ./gradlew build, it automatically
>> downloads go 1.12 and sets the go env for it, basically ignoring whatever
>> version of go that I already have installed.
>> Please follow the last comment of this
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-8564.
>> Regards
>> Amogh
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 5:46 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I did get through this one, and made the classic mistake of not
>>> immediately committing the steps I took to writing. I believe it
>>> involved some combination of setting go paths in environment
>>> variables. I seem to have added this to the end of my .profile:
>>>
>>> export GOROOT=/usr/local/go
>>> export GOPATH=$HOME/go/packages
>>> export PATH=$GOPATH/bin:$GOROOT/bin:$PATH
>>>
>>> According to my history, I also ran
>>>
>>> go get github.com/linkedin/goavro
>>>
>>> I really need to dedicate some time to cleaning up the build
>>> documentation. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-8798
>>>
>>> Right now we have overlapping and sometimes contradictory docs in four
>>> different places:
>>>
>>> README.md
>>> CONTRIBUTING.md
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BEAM/Contributor+FAQ