Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/24 23:31:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

I think we should start planning a 3.0 release as soon as possible.
I have the following big new features in mind:
  * regions  (KARAF-1009)
  * subshells  (KARAF-647)
  * profiles
  * test framework (KARAF-1004)
Do you guys have anything more in mind or should we start thinking
about releasing once those 3 big new features are included ?

The JIRA contains more than 90 opened issues for 3.0 and I think we
should trim that to whatever we can do in the coming weeks.
Having 3.0 released in a few weeks, maybe aim for mid-december would
be good imho.

Thoughts ?

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Nothing to add to the Roadmap; I like the plan and the targeted release
time (mid dec). My personal plan is finishing the test-framework port this
week and start porting the trunks of my largest projects to karaf trunk
there after to find any remaining compatibility issues and fix them before
the official karaf-3.0.0 release.

So +1 from my side.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Toni,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.

--
Toni Menzel Source <http://tonimenzel.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

Let's start focusing for mid December and see how it goes!

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
*

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi guys,

sorry was kinda off-line during the weekend :)

yeah I work on a lot of improvements for pax web and I really want to
see pax web 2.0 being included in Karaf 3.0.
Pax Web 2.0 should contain the following:

Support of Jetty 8
Support of Servlet 3.0 (including annotations)
Support of JSF 2.x
Support of jetty-web.xml
Which should give us support of virtual hosts on a web-app basis ...
and lots of bugfixes :)

anyone who might be interested might take a look at the current release
notes.

http://team.ops4j.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10110&version=10443

best regards, Achim

--
-----

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer & Project Lead

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Just to be clear, once we have 3.0.0 out I fully expect to see 3.0.x
go into the 6 to 8 week patch roll up schedule we've maintained on
2.1.x and 2.2.x branches. So if we do spot some missed item, bug, or
omitted documentation then we can correct it quickly. I know that
where ever we cut for 3.0.0 there will eventually be some issue we'll
want to address.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Well, then maybe what we need is a min, regular, full/offline and "learn"
distribution? I'm not sure which additional use cases/distributions might
be interesting. TBH I've never needed anything else than the regular
distribution but if there is need for different types of distributions...
why not.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Guillaume ;)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Just fixed it.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

what do you mean list ?

It's certainly due to the renaming of the commands on trunk.

Regards
JB

On 11/25/2011 03:26 PM, Łukasz Dywicki wrote:
> Btw. currently list command on trunk displays list of services, shouldn't we list bundles, as it is done currently? Will subshells improve this area?
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz
>

>> On Friday, November 25, 2011 2:42:05 PM Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>> For sure.   We depend on a snapshot for now, but I think aries trunk
>>> is in a usable state for us, so we just need a release of that.
>>
>> It's getting much closer, yes.   There is a little more work for ARIES-626 and
>> we have to figure out the fragment bundle thing for the compatibility, but
>> it's definitely better than 0.4.   :-)
>>
>> Dan

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for 3.0 release

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
For sure.   We depend on a snapshot for now, but I think aries trunk
is in a usable state for us, so we just need a release of that.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 14:36, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Well, we definitely need to get a usable blueprint.   0.4 is not (IMO).
> Thus, we'd either need to back down to 0.3 or work hard to get an updated
> 0.4.1 out first.
>
> Dan
>

> On Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:31:24 PM Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> I think we should start planning a 3.0 release as soon as possible.
>> I have the following big new features in mind:
>>   * regions  (KARAF-1009)
>>   * subshells  (KARAF-647)
>>   * profiles
>>   * test framework (KARAF-1004)
>> Do you guys have anything more in mind or should we start thinking
>> about releasing once those 3 big new features are included ?
>>
>> The JIRA contains more than 90 opened issues for 3.0 and I think we
>> should trim that to whatever we can do in the coming weeks.
>> Having 3.0 released in a few weeks, maybe aim for mid-december would
>> be good imho.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
> --
> Daniel Kulp