Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Vladimir Bobic <vl...@qsp.co.yu> on 2008/11/25 16:33:49 UTC

2 Server Cluster !?

Ahoy everyone,

I'm interested to know if there is anyway to run 2 servers cluster in which:
 - if 1 server fails other one continues to serve clients.
 - when failed server is back, force elections to favored server
 I'm aware that there is possibility for both servers to work
independently not knowing for each other,
difference that could immerge is not issue.

Regards,
Vladimir

RE: 2 Server Cluster !?

Posted by "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <ks...@cisco.com>.
Valdimir,

	Good scenario. As Mahadev points out quorum and HA are slightly
different animals. If I am correct, the Quorum also has the correctness
attribute, which needs more than one server - the 2n+1 requirement.

	Looks like what you are looking for is the traditional HA
primitive with an active-active configuration. You might still be able
to use Zookeeper, with leader election and state management, but you
will need at least 3 processes - (at least)one Zookeeper, two server
processes.

Cheers
<k/>
P.S : May be we should capture this pattern in ZooKeeper. (May be we
already have, as I am coming up to speed)

Re: 2 Server Cluster !?

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Valdimir,