Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/16 13:37:29 UTC

Enhanced guide ?

Hi Ldap buddies,

is someone on this list can tell me what this "Enhanced Guide" (and it's
obsolete form, "Guide") is good for ? I guess that it was a kind of help
for clients, but I don't see how it can be used ...

Any insight welcome !

Emmanuel

Re: Enhanced guide ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ersin Er a écrit :

> What is Enhanced Guide? Where is it?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4517
chapter 3.3.10 :

3.3.10.  Enhanced Guide

   A value of the Enhanced Guide syntax suggests criteria, which consist
   of combinations of attribute types and filter operators, to be used
   in constructing filters to search for entries of particular object
   classes.  The Enhanced Guide syntax improves upon the Guide syntax by
   allowing the recommended depth of the search to be specified.

   The LDAP-specific encoding of a value of this syntax is defined by
   the following ABNF:

      EnhancedGuide = object-class SHARP WSP criteria WSP
                         SHARP WSP subset
      object-class  = WSP oid WSP
      subset        = "baseobject" / "oneLevel" / "wholeSubtree"

      criteria   = and-term *( BAR and-term )
      and-term   = term *( AMPERSAND term )
      term       = EXCLAIM term /
                   attributetype DOLLAR match-type /
                   LPAREN criteria RPAREN /
                   true /
                   false
      match-type = "EQ" / "SUBSTR" / "GE" / "LE" / "APPROX"
      true       = "?true"
      false      = "?false"
      BAR        = %x7C  ; vertical bar ("|")
      AMPERSAND  = %x26  ; ampersand ("&")
      EXCLAIM    = %x21  ; exclamation mark ("!")

   The <SHARP>, <WSP>, <oid>, <LPAREN>, <RPAREN>, <attributetype>, and
   <DOLLAR> rules are defined in [RFC4512 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4512>].

   The LDAP definition for the Enhanced Guide syntax is:

      ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.21 DESC 'Enhanced Guide' )

      Example:
         person#(sn$EQ)#oneLevel

   The Enhanced Guide syntax corresponds to the EnhancedGuide ASN.1 type
   from [X.520 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4517#ref-X.520>].  The EnhancedGuide type references the Criteria ASN.1
   type, also from [X.520 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4517#ref-X.520>].  The <true> rule, above, represents an empty
   "and" expression in a value of the Criteria type.  The <false> rule,
   above, represents an empty "or" expression in a value of the Criteria
   type.

Re: Enhanced guide ?

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--