Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2004/12/09 17:36:10 UTC

Call me crazy, but I want it all.

No, this is not spam.

Am I the only one frustrated with our current build situation?

This is my selfish desire for a clean build of all things under struts/*

A friend and I were discussing some of the recent goings-on and just for the
hell of it I decided to try to build and deploy all of the example
applications:
struts-mailreader
struts-examples
struts-blank
struts-documentation
tiles-documentation
mailreader-chain
strutsel-exercise-taglib.war
struts-faces
struts-faces2

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it took me quite a while to do this from
scratch.  I chose to use a common build.properties in my ${user.home}
directory.  So I had to constantly go back and forth adding/changing the jar
references.  It seems like almost all of the build.props.sample files were
out of date.  And some builds used one version of a jar, while others were
using an older version.

And to this day, I still cannot deploy the mailreader-chain by configuring a
tomcat context to point to my local mailreader-chain/target/mailreader.  It
keeps barfing, saying it can't find
/WEB-INF/struts-config/struts-config.xml, which, if I zip up the directory
and deploy it to webapps, it's fine. :(

What's even more confusing is how different the maven project jar
dependencies are vs the ant jar for the SAME PROJECT.  Can you say CLEAN UP
TIME?

When you look at each piece of the puzzle individually, they look fine.  But
when you try to put the entire puzzle together, it's pretty nasty.

Anyway, sorry for venting.

Is there any interest in cleaning some of this up?

Can we remove all the maven build stuff?  Since:
a) Our Maven build does nothing except build a source and binary dist of
struts.jar
b) Our ant build does everything that needs to be done (and then some)
c) Craig does the nightly builds and has no interest in changing to maven

Note: Before anyone flames me, I actually prefer Maven over Ant for all new
projects, it's just not working for us here and now.

Also, why do we have so many copies of the mailreader example all over the
place?  Why can't we just keep one copy and have a build that can handle
building for core or chain or shale or xyz?

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: Call me crazy, but I want it all.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:36:10 -0500, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Also, why do we have so many copies of the mailreader example all over the
> place?  Why can't we just keep one copy and have a build that can handle
> building for core or chain or shale or xyz?

For the most part, they aren't the same.  The canonical Struts
mailreader app has been reimplemented in struts-faces with JSF tags
but the same actions (twice, once without Tiles and once with), in
Shale (completely re-implemented with JSF tags and the replacement for
actions (much simpler, too, but that's for another thread :-).

The common thread (at least among the implementations I've seen so
far) is the abstraction of the DAO APIs (UserDatabase, User,
Subscription) and the corresponding implementation that uses an XML
document for persistence.  That part has already been abstracted out
... it would be straightforward for the customized implementations to
use that part from a common source, while keeping their own copies of
what might be unique.

> --
> James Mitchell
> EdgeTech, Inc.
> 678.910.8017
> AIM: jmitchtx

Craig

Re: Call me crazy, but I want it all.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:51:24 -0800 (PST), David Graham
<gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't have a problem with tossing the Maven stuff. However, I
> > believe we do have some Maven mavens in our midst who likely feel
> > otherwise. This might sound odd, but perhaps, if we do have people who
> > are interested in actively pursuing Maven, we should move the Maven
> > stuff to contrib until such time as it provides a working replacement
> > for our Ant build system?
>
> IMO, maintaining two build systems is only going to make things worse so
> we should probably stick with Ant.  The key thing about Maven is that it
> downloads jars for me so I don't have to waste my time doing it manually.

I'll make the Ant build do that too. It's not a Maven exclusive. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:07:11 -0600, Michael Rasmussen
<ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about writing a custom ant task that gets the jars from ibiblio
> or wherever they are from?

We hardly need a custom task. Ant already has the <get> task:

http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/get.html

This is what Maven-generated Ant builds use.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Michael Rasmussen wrote:

>what about writing a custom ant task that gets the jars from ibiblio
>or wherever they are from?

+1

SVN lets your re-org directories so...  I hope somehting happens to
simplify build.  If I can repeat a good prectice is " one jar/war = one
directory = one project . "
Building Struts jar or tag libs or mail reader war should be ...
separate, I think.

.V

--
RiA-SoA w/JDNC <http://www.SandraSF.com> forums
blog <http://www.sandrasf.com/adminBlog>

Re: Call me crazy, but I want it all.

Posted by Michael Rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>That, and the fact that we had much more success using it as our
>team project management tool than we ever had with Ant, for whatever
>reasons.

I should qualify: "we" is my development team at my day job, not "we"
as the Struts community.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Call me crazy, but I want it all.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
My biggest frustration about the maven configuration for Struts is that it
doesn't do what Ant does.

Yes, I suppose it _can_ "do some of it", but, currently it doesn't "do *any*
of it".  So it is useless to me for Struts.  However, in commons, it is a
God send because those projects are much smaller and (in general) have a
single purpose (or as we call it in Maven "artifact").

As you stated, and as I discussed with Martin offline today, I really love
the automatic dependency resolution that Maven provides.  With any luck, we
can change our build.xml to do the same.

Last time I tried the Maven plugin for Eclipse, it didn't work for the
version I was using.  But that was a few months ago.  I suppose I could try
again.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:36:10 -0500, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> No, this is not spam.
>
> Am I the only one frustrated with our current build situation?
>
> This is my selfish desire for a clean build of all things under struts/*
>
> A friend and I were discussing some of the recent goings-on and just for the
> hell of it I decided to try to build and deploy all of the example
> applications:
> struts-mailreader
> struts-examples
> struts-blank
> struts-documentation
> tiles-documentation
> mailreader-chain
> strutsel-exercise-taglib.war
> struts-faces
> struts-faces2
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but it took me quite a while to do this from
> scratch.  I chose to use a common build.properties in my ${user.home}
> directory.  So I had to constantly go back and forth adding/changing the jar
> references.  It seems like almost all of the build.props.sample files were
> out of date.  And some builds used one version of a jar, while others were
> using an older version.
>
> And to this day, I still cannot deploy the mailreader-chain by configuring a
> tomcat context to point to my local mailreader-chain/target/mailreader.  It
> keeps barfing, saying it can't find
> /WEB-INF/struts-config/struts-config.xml, which, if I zip up the directory
> and deploy it to webapps, it's fine. :(
>
> What's even more confusing is how different the maven project jar
> dependencies are vs the ant jar for the SAME PROJECT.  Can you say CLEAN UP
> TIME?
>
> When you look at each piece of the puzzle individually, they look fine.  But
> when you try to put the entire puzzle together, it's pretty nasty.
>
> Anyway, sorry for venting.
>
> Is there any interest in cleaning some of this up?

Yes. I've been thinking about this too.

I've just finished up a generic build "framework" as part of a new
project in my day job. In the process, I learned a lot about some of
the more recent and very cool additions to Ant. That, in turn, set me
off thinking about how we could use that to significantly clean up and
simplify the Struts build(s).

I know there has been a lot of frustration about the Struts build
system, and I'm definitely interested in cleaning it up. I have the
itch and plan to scratch it. ;-)

> Can we remove all the maven build stuff?  Since:
> a) Our Maven build does nothing except build a source and binary dist of
> struts.jar
> b) Our ant build does everything that needs to be done (and then some)
> c) Craig does the nightly builds and has no interest in changing to maven
>
> Note: Before anyone flames me, I actually prefer Maven over Ant for all new
> projects, it's just not working for us here and now.

I don't have a problem with tossing the Maven stuff. However, I
believe we do have some Maven mavens in our midst who likely feel
otherwise. This might sound odd, but perhaps, if we do have people who
are interested in actively pursuing Maven, we should move the Maven
stuff to contrib until such time as it provides a working replacement
for our Ant build system?

> Also, why do we have so many copies of the mailreader example all over the
> place?  Why can't we just keep one copy and have a build that can handle
> building for core or chain or shale or xyz?

Can't answer that one. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
As I understand it, the key to improving the build, be it Maven or Ant,
is who will get the job done.  There used to be quite a bit of interest
in a Maven build, and some progress was made toward a conversion,
however, the work was never completed.  If someone stepped up and
completed the Maven conversion, it would probably be adopted.  However,
if someone (Martin?) improved the Ant build to add jar retrieval tasks
and make it easier to use, it would be adopted instead.

Personally, from what I've seen, there isn't really something Maven can
do that Ant can't or vice versa, but rather a matter of how easy/elegant
the solution will be and more importantly, who will do it.

And whoever does it will earn my eternal gratitude. :)

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.