Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2010/01/01 08:59:08 UTC

Apache release signing on Solaris 10

I've been attempting to compile and install GnuPG 2.0.14 as per
http://www.apache.org/dev/openpgp.html#generate-key

Unfortunately GnuPG 2.0.14 depends upon libassuan-1.0.5 which uses
funopen or fopencookie calls that don't exist on Solaris 10.  NB. I
succeeded getting GNU PThreads library version 2.0.7 compiled and
installed, which incidentally requested I email the author, to included
it the tested platforms (after passing all tests).

Other libraries required that I compiled and installed were:
libgcrypt
libksba
libgpg-error

I have GnuPG 1.4.10 installed, it can generate 4096 bit RSA keys.

Is there anything on Solaris 10 that is considered suitable for key
generation for Apache?

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Apache release signing on Solaris 10

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Hi Robert,

This might be of interest to you as well:

bash-3.00$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
        CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

N.B. Good luck with your exams.

Thanks,

Peter.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> From my perspective, you're good to go. The signature you made checks out.
>>
>> You'll need to put your public key into the svn repository associated with
>> the river project (if you need details after looking around, let me know --
>> I'm a little hazy on the details).
>>

> i haven't been tracking the progress made by infra so you might need
> to check the archives but AFAIK we're still just using a KEYS files.
> this consists of ASCII-exported public keys (IIRC this is covered in
> the documentation). a good way to start a file is by copying the
> template from an existing one.
>

>> And I guess you're still awaiting a response whether your key is good
>> enough. Robert, any feedback?
>>

> there are basically 3 things to check:
>
> 1. that both encryption and signing keys are 4096 RSA
> 2. that the keyring preferences are set to strong signing
> 3. that the key preferences are set to strong signing
>
> and AFAICT the key looks fine
>
> (probably need to find some time to update the documentation since the
> GnuPG team now seem to have set everything up okay by defaults for the
> new releases...)

The documentation was very helpful, SHA-1 was still the default first
preference, so I wouldn't go changing it just yet.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Peter,

 From my perspective, you're good to go. The signature you made checks
out.

You'll need to put your public key into the svn repository associated
with the river project (if you need details after looking around, let
me know -- I'm a little hazy on the details).

And I guess you're still awaiting a response whether your key is good
enough. Robert, any feedback?

clr% gpg --fingerprint 1CC8406F
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   2  signed:  69  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 2u
gpg: depth: 1  valid:  69  signed:  39  trust: 17-, 24q, 0n, 0m, 28f, 0u
gpg: depth: 2  valid:  20  signed:  20  trust: 7-, 11q, 0n, 0m, 2f, 0u
gpg: depth: 3  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 1-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 0u
gpg: next trustdb check due at 2011-06-22
pub   4096R/1CC8406F 2010-01-01 [expires: 2012-01-01]
       Key fingerprint = 316D 7FF5 D89E 3090 64E2  7BAA AE46 E725 1CC8
406F
uid                  Peter Firmstone (Engineer) <peter.firmstone@zeus.net.au

sub   4096R/DBF67B3D 2010-01-01 [expires: 2012-01-01]

[CraigRussell:~] clr% gpg --verify LICENSE.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan  3 17:57:16 2010 PST using RSA key ID
1CC8406F
gpg: Good signature from "Peter Firmstone (Engineer) <peter.firmstone@zeus.net.au
 >"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 316D 7FF5 D89E 3090 64E2  7BAA AE46 E725 1CC8
406F

Craig

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Thanks Craig,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Peter,

The only reason *not* to use 1.4.10 IMHO is if the generated artifacts
somehow are incompatible with other GPG programs out there.

If you want to create an example .asc from some file that you have in
your public directory, I'd be happy to verify that it works.

Craig

On Jan 3, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Thanks Robert,
>
> GnuPG 1.4.10 has no trouble creating 4096 bit keys and it compiles
> cleanly on Solaris, I have a set generated, I just wasn't sure if
> there was some reason I should be using the later version.  1.4.10
> is still being maintained, its recommended for servers and embedded,
> while 2.0.14 is preferred for desktops.
>
> If no one objects, I'd be happy to use the keys to sign the AR2
> release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been attempting to compile and install GnuPG 2.0.14 as per
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/openpgp.html#generate-key
>>>
>>> Unfortunately GnuPG 2.0.14 depends upon libassuan-1.0.5 which uses
>>> funopen
>>> or fopencookie calls that don't exist on Solaris 10.  NB. I
>>> succeeded
>>> getting GNU PThreads library version 2.0.7 compiled and installed,
>>> which
>>> incidentally requested I email the author, to included it the tested
>>> platforms (after passing all tests).
>>>
>>> Other libraries required that I compiled and installed were:
>>> libgcrypt
>>> libksba

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Robert,

How do I verify the generated keys are strong enough?

Cheers,

Peter.

Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> GnuPG 1.4.10 has no trouble creating 4096 bit keys and it compiles
> cleanly on Solaris, I have a set generated, I just wasn't sure if
> there was some reason I should be using the later version.  1.4.10 is
> still being maintained, its recommended for servers and embedded,
> while 2.0.14 is preferred for desktops.
>
> If no one objects, I'd be happy to use the keys to sign the AR2 release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been attempting to compile and install GnuPG 2.0.14 as per
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/openpgp.html#generate-key
>>>
>>> Unfortunately GnuPG 2.0.14 depends upon libassuan-1.0.5 which uses
>>> funopen
>>> or fopencookie calls that don't exist on Solaris 10.  NB. I succeeded
>>> getting GNU PThreads library version 2.0.7 compiled and installed,
>>> which
>>> incidentally requested I email the author, to included it the tested
>>> platforms (after passing all tests).
>>>
>>> Other libraries required that I compiled and installed were:
>>> libgcrypt
>>> libksba

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Thanks Robert,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

AR2 Release PGP Signing

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Anyone else able to add their pgp key to the KEYS file in trunk?

Cheers,

Peter.