Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/09/12 21:51:17 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Gearing up for an official CloudMonkey independent release

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 01:42:04PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Chip Childers
> <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking at what it's going to take to get CloudMonkey out as an
> > official release.
>
> Thanks Chip for taking this further.
>
> >  Here's what I believe needs to be done:
> >
> > 1) Legal doc check (I think we're good here, since I just added the
> > NOTICE file)
>
> I don't see any NOTICE file in tree?
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git;a=tree

pushing helps.  done

> > 2) Release process document
> >
> > 3) Add an initial pre-cache file to the repo itself.  I want to do this,
> > so that it doesn't require you to have a running 4.1+ ACS install in
> > order to do a CloudMonkey build.
>
> +1 I thought about doing it, but then decided not to within the repo
> but all existing cloudmonkey releases on pypi have the precache
> bundled with them, there is a build step in the Makefile which does
> that.

The problem I have with that is that I require a target CS mgmt server
to do the build.  I'd like to be able to allow anyone to build, and then
use, even if they don't have a version of CloudStack running that
supports API discovery.  Think about all of the 3.x or 4.0 users, and
CloudMonkey works (sort of) well enough for them.