Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/02 06:06:55 UTC

Re: [LANG] unnecessary boxing in StringEscapeUtils etc.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *grumbles that they were ints and a previous RC candidate saw it
>> change to Range* :)
>>

> Change it back! ;)

Tongue in cheek as it might be, I think this is the right direction.

Forcing it onto the Range API made it less useable, so best to stay
with the original more useable code even if it implies some redundancy
code-wise.

It might imply that we need subclasses to Ranges; but I think int and
char are a wee bit special and it's no reason to doubt the Range
class.

I've rolled back the commit:

svn ci -m "Reverting r1090111 - moving the text.translate escapers
back from using Range to replicating parts of the Range API. See the
list for details ('unnecessary boxing in StringEscapeUtils etc'), the
move to Range was an uncomfortable fit. "

Sending        src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/StringEscapeUtils.java
Sending        src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/text/translate/NumericEntityEscaper.java
Sending        src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/text/translate/UnicodeEscaper.java
Sending        src/test/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/text/translate/NumericEntityEscaperTest.java
Sending        src/test/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/text/translate/UnicodeEscaperTest.java
Transmitting file data .....
Committed revision 1142151.

Hen