Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2009/09/22 12:05:40 UTC

About ClonedServerEntty

Hi,

we are using this data structure to feed it with the existing entry when
a request enters the chain. It's really useful for many operations like
modification, as it avoids many lookup all along the chains.

The problem I have with this structure is that the content does not
reflect the reality. We store two elements :
- the original entry (the one which is in the server when the operation
enters the chain)
- and what we call the ClonedEntry

This second element is most certainly useless while going down the
chain, as if it's cloned, it's cloned only once. Then any modification
done on this data will impact the rest of the chain. My personal guess
is that we should clone the original entry anytime we want to do
temporarily modifications, like what we do in the schema interceptor.

We also need to store the resulting modification once it has been
applied on the server : for a rename operation, we must update some AT
on the backend (ModifiersName, ModifyTimeStamp), and we must do that on
the modified entry. That means at some point we store this modified
entry into this structure.

I would suggest we rename the clonedEntry to modifiedEntry, and that
this element is fed in the backend, and used when returning.

thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com